Probing Eastern Europe as Travel DestinationMarch 22, 2011 By: George Dooley Travel Agent
Travel companies looking for the next wave of growth are looking east, PhoCusWright research says. A new study will report on Russia and Eastern European countries such as Poland that are experiencing rebounding economies and healthy travel gains.
“These less mature, less-penetrated travel markets are ripe for online travel, social media and mobile. However, there is little information available to help travel companies navigate these unique markets,” PhoCusWright says.
PhoCusWright is seeking partners to invest in and help shape research for an upcoming Special Project, Russia and Eastern Europe: Assessing the Online Travel Opportunity. PhoCusWright says the project sizes the Russian and key Eastern European travel markets and studies market dynamics to uncover trends and opportunities throughout the region.
The project includes in-depth analysis of Russia/Ukraine and Poland with an overview of Bulgaria, the Baltics, Hungary, Romania and Czech Republic.
The research delivers market size and forecasts for the total and online leisure/unmanaged business travel markets, including projections through 2013, PhoCusWright says. Detailed analysis tracks growth developments and provides segmentation across channels (direct, intermediaries) and products (air, hotel, car, package/tour and rail).
PhoCusWright will complete over 50 in-depth executive interviews with travel suppliers, intermediaries and technology providers to accurately size the market and discover/validate key trends. The study answers the questions that are essential to success in these emerging travel markets, PhoCusWright says. This includes:
• What is the size of the online leisure and unmanaged business travel market in Russia/Ukraine, Poland and other key European countries?
• What are the greatest risks and challenges in each market?
• Who are the key players and potential new market entrants?
• What are the current and future technologies driving change?
• How do the Russian and Eastern European travel markets compare to more mature regions (e.g., U.S., Western Europe) and emerging markets in other regions (e.g., Asia Pacific, Latin America)?
The project delves deeply into leading travel trends – mobile opportunities, key players (online travel agencies, airlines, hotels, tour operators and railways), strategies, and the impact of technology on travel distribution in Russia and Eastern Europe.