G Adventures Suggests West Africa Attractions; Offers Discounts on CruisesJune 1, 2012 By: Newswire
G Adventures's 140-guest M/S Expedition will take passengers up the coast of West Africa in April 2013. It will stop at some unique sites, with expert guides onboard to explain what guests are seeing.
Some of the attractions will include:
1. Coffins of Ghana: Visit a local fantasy coffin-maker in Accra. In Ghana, the deceased are often buried in a coffin that reflects their trade, so it is not uncommon to find brightly designed coffins in the shape of mobile phones, cars, fish and Coke bottles.
2. Visit the Namibian city with no one: Kolmanskop, German for ‘Coleman’s Hill” is a German-designed ghost town in the desert just outside the port town of Luderitz. Once a rich diamond-mining town, visitors now wade through the deserted buildings in knee-deep sand. A permit is required to enter, but this can be arranged by G Adventures.
3. Float through a stilted village in Benin: Travelers will cross Lake Nokoue in small boats to visit the fishing village of Ganvié, famous for its 3,000 bamboo stilt houses perched above the water. Built to escape slavers, this community is completely sustainable and independent from the mainland.
4. Discover the African equivalent of the Galapagos: A UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, the Bijagos Archipelego off the coast of Guinea-Bissau is one of the most unexplored places in the world. The island’s inhabitants are descendants of an ancient culture with animist beliefs.
5. See the slave-trading post of Gorée Island at Dakar, Senegal: Step back to this dark time and visit dungeons, slave quarters, opulent traders’ homes and The House of Slaves.
Bonus: Guests booking G Adventures's complete 27-day Cape Town to Dakar trip will receive a 25 percent discount (promo code: G12WAEBB25), and 20 percent (promo code: G12WAEBB20) will be offered to those booking the 18-day Cape Town to Accra tour or 12-day Accra to Dakar trip. All bookings must be made before June 30.
For more information, visit www.gadventures.com.