Carnival Corporation & plc announced its OceanMedallion, the wearable device that powers the guest experience platform behind MedallionClass vacations, has been awarded the 2019 IoT Wearables Innovation of the Year by IoT Breakthrough as part of the independent organization’s 2019 IoT Breakthrough Awards program.
The IoT Breakthrough Awards recognize technologies and companies that are driving innovation in the internet of things (IoT) market around the world. This year’s program attracted more than 3,500 nominations globally in a range of IoT categories, including industrial and enterprise IoT, smart city, connected home and home automation, connected car and more. All award nominations were evaluated by an independent panel of IoT industry experts, with the highest scored nominee being named the winner in each category. Additional 2019 winners include Samsung Electronics, GE Appliances, Dell Technologies, Toshiba and Sony.
Originally unveiled by Arnold Donald, CEO of Carnival Corporation, at CES 2017, the MedallionTM device connects a cruise guest’s digital identity with a shipboard Experience Internet of Things (xIoTTM) ecosystem designed to enhance guest-crew interactions and deliver personalized service on a large scale. Carnival Corporation & plc says the device enables all aspects of an elevated guest vacation including hassle-free payment, keyless and personalized stateroom access, frictionless embarkation, on-demand services and more.
The award is the third recognition Carnival Corporation’s patented IoT innovations have received in the past three months. In November, CES recognized the company as a CES 2019 Innovations Award Honoree for OceanMedallion. In December, the company received a 2018 Gold New York Design Award for Digital IoT for its Ocean guest experience platform.
OceanMedallion and the company’s xIoT guest experience platform currently are transforming vacations for guests sailing on Caribbean Princess and Regal Princess from Princess Cruises. Guests experience an extensive portfolio of OceanMedallion-enabled features, specifically designed to enhance the vacation experience, including:
- Keyless Stateroom Entry: Each guest is validated, and the door automatically unlocks, with personalized greetings and loyalty level recognition on the welcome portal.
- OceanNow: Using smart devices, guests can place a food or drink order and have it delivered directly to them in food and beverage locations throughout the ship.
- MedallionPay: A payment experience, enabling crew members to focus on guest interactions.
- Ocean Casino: On smart devices and select portals, guests can wager real money on a portfolio of games, including slots, poker, bingo, roulette, keno and lottery from anywhere on board.
- OceanCompass: Leverages the Ocean Medallion to enable point-to-point wayfinding throughout the ship. Ocean Compass guides guests throughout their journey, providing directional information so they can navigate to their next point of interest.
- JourneyView: On portals throughout the ship, guests can access a real-time look at their itinerary, along with events and activities taking place during their cruise.
- OceanView: Guests can stream more than 100 hours of award-winning Ocean Original travel content – which airs nationally on weekends on ABC and NBC – to their smart device anywhere on the ship at no cost.
- PlayOcean: On portals located shipwide, guests can play family games, including trivia, word jumble, a matching game and Ocean Treks Adventure – an interactive, shipwide digital scavenger hunt.
For more information, visit http://www.carnivalcorp.com/