Seabourn has announced it will be offering optional land excursions for its return to Alaska. The up-close explorations will be part of Seabourn Sojourn's series of 11-, 12- and 14-day itineraries sailing from Vancouver, British Columbia, and Anchorage (Seward), Alaska starting June 2017.
A variety of shore excursions will be available at each port and destinations, including dog sledding, floatplane trips, wildlife viewing, and salmon fishing. Ventures by Seabourn is another optional for-charge program offering excursions guided by knowledgeable teams of scientists, scholars, naturalists, and more.
Highlights for the 2017 season include:
- Exclusive St. Lazaria Wildlife Cruise & Lunch at Dove Island Lodge (Sitka): Exclusively developed for Seabourn, guests will enjoy world-class bird- and wildlife-watching on a catamaran excursion.
- Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter (Juneau): Guests will ride with the oldest operating dog sled tour company, following a flightseeing tour of Mendenhall Glacier. Professional mushers will be along for the ride to help guests drive the team or let them relax in the sled.
- Alaska Fishing & Wilderness Dining (Ketchikan): Aboard an open-air skiff, guests will cast a line for the main dish of a gourmet campfire meal. After fishing, a wilderness campsite welcomes guests with a crackling fire.
- Burro Creek Waterfall Retreat & Crab Boil (Haines): Guests will take in the views of Lynn Canal, America's longest and deepest fjord. Following a boat transfer, guests can come face-to-face with Burro Creek's most spectacular waterfall where they can then join the onsite naturalist for a moderate hike along a 1,400-foot pipeline that feeds the Lodge's hydroelectric system.
Ventures by Seabourn
- Rudyerd Bay (Misty Fjords National Park): The Zodiac and flight adventure offers the chance to see remote parts of Misty Fjords at sea level. A short flight from the Misty Fjords showcases the best of this 2 million-acre park, while naturalist/qualified Zodiac drivers lead each boat.
- Davidson Glacier Hike (Haines): A Zodiac ride from Letnikof Cove to Glacier Point leads to a guided hike through the temperate Alaskan rainforest, with the Ventures team and specialist local guides interpreting an incredible variety of fauna and flora. Upon reaching the base of Davidson Glacier, guests gear up to step out onto the glacier.
- Kayak Exploration of Holgate Fjord (Holgate Glacier): Guests will paddle along in a double kayak and discover the wildlife-rich environment of Holgate Fjord. A Ventures kayak guide will lead this excrusion.
- Scenic Cruising of Tracy Arm & Endicott Arm (Sawyer Glacier/Endicott Arm): A Zodiac will take guests through Tracy Arm to Sawyer Glacier to see waterfalls and wildlife, including birdlife, mountain goats, sea lions, and harbor seals.
Seabourn Sojourn's season in Alaska launches with the 11-day Ultimate Alaskan Sojourn, departing from Vancouver, B.C., on June 1, 2017, priced from $4,999 per person.