The Ski Center Association is expecting a 15 percent increase in its ski tourist income. Within the central region, the winter investment in infrastructure, maintenance and slope improvements has reached 9.5 million.
“In the central region we have ski centers in the Metropolitan, Valparaiso and O´Higgins regions, and further south we have complete facilities in the Biobio, Araucania, Los Lagos, Aysen and Magallanes regions. We are estimating that our ski centers will receive 900,000 visitors this season, both domestic and international, of which between 600 and 700 thousand will be concentrated in the central region alone,” said Sub-Secretary of Tourism Javiera Montes.
Improvements in the region include:
- Refurbished rooms at Portillo.
- New slopes and a new adult and children training section in addition to a gondola installment at Valle Nevado.
- El Colorado will feature a new lift in the Olympic Park Valley area, as well as a new section at the Colorado Chico snow park, called Urban Park.
- Farellones has launched Parque Nieve, a new program offering more affordable options for travelers.
- This season, La Parva launches the Alta Parva Snowpark by ACER, located on the Tortolas slope. The center has also expanded artificial snow production by 20 percent for the slopes.