Zegrahm Expeditions recently announced a brand-new itinerary that visits both the North and South Islands of New Zealand, plus off-the-beaten-path Tiritiri Matangi Island and Waiheke Island on its Insider’s New Zealand: Milford Sound to Auckland expedition.
Based on completing dozens of expeditions to different parts of the country over the company’s 25-year history, this comprehensive New Zealand itinerary combines Zegrahm’s favorite natural and cultural wonders with visits to remote villages, unique attractions, and natural areas that can only be reached by ship.
“We are really excited to provide our travelers with an extensive exploration of this southwestern Pacific island-country,” said Edwin Blythe, president of Zegrahm, in a written release. “For me, the real highlights are going to be visiting some of the outer islands that are often overlooked, like White Island where guests can explore the inner crater of New Zealand’s only active volcano.”
Additional highlights of this 17-day expedition include:
• Photographing legendary Milford, Doubtful, and Breaksea sounds; with no roads and relatively shallow water, a small ship is the only way to experience the breathtaking beauty of these scenic fjords.
• Experience the local world of the Maori and their deep connection to the land and sea through storytelling, a traditional craft workshop, and a bushwalk.
• Choosing from a variety of activities, from wine tasting, whale watching, and Zodiac cruises to active hikes, biking tours, and nature walks.
• Visiting privately-owned Waiheke Island to view the fascinating sculpture park at Connells Bay.
• Exploring Tiritiri Matangi Island to observe a restoration project that reintroduced endangered birds and reptiles, including the flightless takahe and the tuatara—nowhere else in New Zealand can you walk among so many rare species.
This expedition is aboard the intimate, 65-guest Oceanic Discoverer from February 4 – 20, 2015 and is priced from $12,980 per person.