The Associated Press, September 15, 2017
PARIS (AP) — The French government is making changes to the military force that was created to protect sensitive sites after the deadly extremist attacks on France in 2015.
French Defense Minister Florence Parly said the number of troops involved in the Sentinelle operation would remain at 7,000 under the plan. But she says their assignments will be made with a greater focus on temporary and seasonal events.
Parly says the soldiers still will patrol in and around major tourist sites, places of worship, train stations and airports. But she says they also will move more easily around the country based on local officials' requests.
Police and military forces have been targets of attacks themselves. Last month a man rammed his car into a group of soldiers near Paris, injuring six of them.
Copyright (2017) Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.