Real Resorts' two Cancun resorts, THE ROYAL Cancun and Gran Caribe Real Cancun, were awarded with the recognition of having the greatest, cleanest and most pristine beaches in Cancun and the entire Riviera Maya -- a region acclaimed for having some of the world's best beaches.
The recognition was presented during the 7th Annual Clean Beach Conference held in Mazatlan and organized by the Mexican Federal Government, the National Water Commission (Conagua), the National Environment and Natural Resources Ministry (Semarnat), the Ministry of Tourism (Sectur) and Ministry of Health.
Because of the beauty of all of the Riviera Maya's beaches, this recognition is only awarded to those who go above and beyond normal stewardship and adhere to the strictest guidelines including the following criteria:
• Absolutely no trash on the sand, even a few small pieces of paper will disqualify a beach.
• Appropriate signage on the beach indicating resort services and information.
• The water must be clean and ecologically correct without any signs of pollution.
• The resort that maintains the beach must practice sustainability including waste separation and other green initiatives.
• Beaches must have trained life guards, warning flags indicating surf condition, and security.
• The resort must demonstrate best practices to protect the natural wildlife including pelicans, seagulls, and sea turtles. Real Resorts has an extensive sea turtle protection program.
THE ROYAL in Cancun is also the recipient of the Green Diamond recognition for its commitment to ecology and the environment. The recognition is awarded by The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences to select five star leading hospitality luxury hotels that exceed a selection of criteria for superior facilities and service.