Malta’s international airport will reopen to all flight destinations from July 15, according to the Malta Tourism Authority (MTA). This follows its July 1 reopening to selection destinations, which recently, as announced by Prime Minister Robert Abela, added a further six countries to the list.
The destinations that have been added to the list, which will be allowed to fly into Malta from July 1, are Italy (except for Emilia Romagna, Lombardy and Piemonte), France (except for Ile de France), Spain (except for Madrid, Catalonia, Castilla-La Mancha, Castile and Leon), Poland (except for Katowice Airport), Greece and Croatia. The original list of destinations that to be reopened for travel included Germany, Austria, Sicily, Cyprus, Switzerland, Sardinia, Iceland, Slovakia, Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Finland, Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Luxembourg and the Czech Republic. More destinations will be announced in due course, once clearance from the health authorities is received, the MTA says. Israel, which had been included on the original list, has since been removed.
Minister for Tourism and Consumer Protection Julia Farrugia Portelli stated that the opening of the Malta International Airport will further sustain the country’s tourism and economy. The ministry, together with the Malta Tourism Authority, will be focusing on marketing and different incentives to attract tourists.
Dr. Gavin Gulia, chairman of the Malta Tourism Authority, said that with these six additional destinations opening up from July 1, and the rest becoming accessible by the middle of July, the travel and hospitality sector should start to recover lost ground fast.
The announcement comes in the wake of last week’s statement by the European Commission in which European Union (EU) countries were encouraged to lift travel restrictions within the bloc and proposed a gradual lifting of the external travel ban starting July 1. A number of EU countries have already lifted their travel restrictions.
The prime minister, according to the MTA, also announced that the public health emergency that had been declared due to the COVID-19 pandemic will be lifted. This means that all remaining legal notices related to COVID-19 restrictions will be revoked, including the ban on gatherings of more than 75 persons. Social distancing, hygiene, and the use of a face mask where necessary remain recommended.