Travelers to the Middle East, Africa and India are in luck: FRHI Hotels & Resorts—which operates Raffles Hotels & Resorts, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts and Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts—announced the development of seven new hotels in the region. The addition of these new hotels is an important step towards FRHI’s goal of doubling its regional footprint by 2020.
Currently, FRHI has 19 hotels in the MEAI region. The new developments are set to open in key strategic markets, including the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Nigeria.
FRHI’s 2020 expansion strategy for the MEAI region includes seven new hotel developments. These include:
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Two new hotels will complement an existing presence in Makkah (the iconic Makkah Clock Royal Tower, the Raffles Makkah Palace, and the Swissôtel Makkah), as well as the previously announced Fairmont Riyadh, Business Gate, set to open in 2015.
- Raffles Jeddah – This hotel will have 180 guestrooms and 188 branded residences. Bonus: The property will offer special wedding suites for newlyweds, as well as a library, penthouse-level entertainment suite, and a spa and fitness club with an indoor ladies-only pool. The hotel will also have event and meeting facilities, including a 10,750 square foot ballroom overlooking the corniche and 8,000 square feet of meeting space.
- Swissôtel Jeddah – This hotel will have 350 guestrooms, executive rooms and suites, a several dining options, 26,900 square feet of meeting and conference space, and a Pürovel Spa and Sport center with indoor and outdoor pools.
United Arab Emirates
With four properties operating in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and more in development (Fairmont Ajman, Fairmont Fujairah, and Fairmont Abu Dhabi Marina), FRHI is bringing the Swissôtel brand to its growing UAE portfolio in an emerging area of Dubai.
- Swissôtel Jaddaf – Just minutes away from the Dubai International Airport and close to the Princess Haya Children’s Hospital, this hotel will have 276 guestrooms and suites, 17,200 square feet of meeting and conference space and a Pürovel Spa & Sport. The five-star Swissotel will anchor the Al Jaddaf mixed use development that is expected to also include two other hotels, serviced apartments, residential and retail facilities.
To complement existing properties in Cairo, FRHI will partner with Citystars on a flagship project in Sharm el Sheikh. Three new hotels and a signature golf course will be built in Egypt’s Red Sea coastal city.
- Fairmont Citystars Sharm el Sheikh – Part of the first phase, including extensive retail, residential apartments and the largest Crystal Lagoon in the world. The Fairmont is scheduled to open in 2015, includes a Fairmont hotel and residential development with 457 guestrooms and 232 residences.
- Swissôtel Citystars Sharm el Sheikh – The project’s second phase includes the first Swissôtel in Egypt with 400 guestrooms and suites overlooking the Crystal Lagoon alongside retail space and 400 residences due to open in 2016.
- Raffles Citystars Sharm el Sheikh – A luxury property with 250 guestrooms and 50 residential villas facing a private lagoon, the hotel will have a 26,900 square foot banquet and conference island, retail souks, a “La Croisette” leisure and retail promenade, and a Colin Montgomery 18-hole championship golf course.
The final phase of FRHI’s Sharm el Sheikh project development covering 8 million square feet of land will include an extensive residential development with multiple lagoons and a boutique desert hotel with 80 tent-like rooms. The development will also get a school and tennis academy as well as a natural reserve of mangroves planted for environmental preservation.
Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital and the second-fastest-growing city in Africa, represents an important business hub. The city will soon get its first Fairmont property.
- Fairmont Lagos – This hotel is expected to have 220 guestrooms and suites, 50 residences, a Fairmont Gold lounge and an art gallery. A 41,000 square foot meeting and conference area will serve the business community, while a Willow Stream Spa will offer treatment options and an extensive menu of relaxation programming.