by and PA and Telegraph Video from The Daily Telegraph, July 15, 2016
More than 80 people are reported dead after a suspected terror attack in which a lorry ploughed into a crowd at the Bastille Day celebration in Nice.
The vehicle hit people who had gathered to celebrate the French national day in the Mediterranean city on Thursday night.
French prosecutors said they had launched a terrorism investigation after the lorry careered through the packed seafront for hundreds of yards as crowds watched fireworks.
Police have stated that the attacker was a 31 year-old Franco-Tunisian, born in Tunisia.
Christian Estrosi, Nice regional president, said guns and grenades were found in the lorry, whose driver was shot dead by police.
The politician, who was at the celebration when the carnage happened, said: "This is the worst Nice tragedy in history.
"We are terrified and we want to offer all the families our sincere condolences."
French media reports said that as well as the dead, a further 15 people were critically injured and dozens more wounded.
Jean-Michel Prette, Nice prosecutor , said bodies were left strewn along the road.
Pierre-Henry Brandet, an interior ministry spokesman, told BFM TV: "It's going to be a very high toll."
Mr Brandet said no hostages had been taken and the lorry driver had been "neutralised", adding that authorities were investigating if he acted alone.
Pictures and footage posted on social media showed crowds fleeing in terror from the scene at the Promenade des Anglais, which was busy with revellers celebrating and watching fireworks.
Witnesses reported hearing gunshots, while pictures on social media showed armed police with weapons trained on a badly damaged white lorry with what appeared to be bullet holes in the windscreen.
France is still on alert after the Paris terror attacks on November 13, in which 130 people were killed at sites including the Bataclan Theatre and Stade de France.
A state of emergency initiated after those attacks was due to be lifted later this month.
French president Mr Hollande said that a military operation was in place that would allow the mobilisation of 10,000 military officers and that police from across the country would be called to assist their colleagues in Nice.
He said the country intended to tighten borders and would show "real force and military action in Syria and Iraq".
Regional hospitals have been warned to expect an influx of the injured and the president urged citizens to be aware of security over the busy national holiday weekend.
He said: "France has been hit by a tragedy once again. This monstrosity of using a lorry to deliberately kill people, many people, who only came out to celebrate their national day.
"France is in tears. It is hurting but it is strong, and she will be strong, always stronger than the fanatics who wish to hurt us."
Follow the latest Telegraph NewsREAD MORE ABOUT:
This article was written by and PA and Telegraph Video from The Daily Telegraph and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.