Carlson Hotels added 92 properties under its five brands worldwide during 2009 and took in systemwide sales of $5.8 billion. The company also signed 66 new properties adding to its contracted pipeline. As a result, Carlson Hotels now has 1,058 hotels in operation and a contracted pipeline 249 properties.
"Our brands experienced solid growth worldwide in 2009 while continuing to increase quality standards and earning several respected awards for guest satisfaction," said Hubert Joly, president and CEO of Carlson.
Radisson, Carlson's contemporary upscale and upper-upscale brand, added 37 Radisson properties to its portfolio in 2009, including 10 in the Americas, five in Asia Pacific and 22 in Europe, Middle East and Africa. Key additions have included major resorts, as well as properties in key city centers and airports around the world:
* The Radisson Our Lucaya Resort, Grand Bahama Island, a 740-room resort located on Grand Bahama Island. This AAA four-diamond, oceanfront resort is the latest addition to the Radisson portfolio of destination Caribbean resorts.
* The Radisson Plaza Resort Phuket Panwa Beach in Thailand, nestled on Phuket Island's Southeastern coastline in a secluded cove along the developing Makham Bay, features 211 contemporary designed guest rooms.
* The Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Dubrovnik Sun Gardens is the largest resort in Croatia with 408 rooms and residential suites.
* Two hotels in Paris: the Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan Hotel, Paris Eiffel, designed by Francois Champsaur, and the Radisson Blu Le Dokhan's Hotel, Paris Trocadero, bringing the total number of properties in the city to eight.
* The 254-room Radisson Plaza Hotel Tianjin is located in the new financial hub of the Hedong District, near Tianjin's Central Business District.
* The Radisson Suites Gurgaon, India, located near the business hub of Gurgaon, it offers eight meeting venues with extensive facilities.
* The Radisson Mississauga Toronto Airport, which opened in June, was recognized with a Four Key rating by the Eco Rating program from the Hotel Association of Canada.
* The 266-room Radisson Blu Hotel, Hamburg Airport, is conveniently located directly opposite the main terminals.
In addition, Carlson signed 25 new properties, bringing the contracted pipeline of Radisson properties to 90.
Country Inn & Suites, Carlson's mid-market brand, added 38 Country Inns & Suites to its portfolio around the world in 2009, including 33 in the U.S. and five in India. In the U.S., the most recent additions include Lexington, MD; Midland, TX, Tucson City Center, AZ; and Washington, PA. Particularly noteworthy is the opening of the first property in New York City, the Country Inn & Suites New York City at Queens. This new hotel in the key New York market represents a landmark in the continuing growth of Country Inns & Suites, which is approaching 500 locations worldwide. In India, key new properties include Indore, Jaipur and Vaishno.
In addition, Carlson signed 13 new properties, bringing the contracted pipeline of Country Inns & Suites properties to 80.
Park Inn, Carlson's new mid market brand added 16 properties in 2009, including one in the Americas, two in Asia Pacific, and 13 in Europe, Middle East and Africa. They include:
* The 252-room Park Inn Louisville East, KY opened last month and is located just minutes from the Louisville International Airport.
* The Park Inn Manchester Victoria in the United Kingdom includes 252 rooms and suites and a new location of Red Bar & Grill (RBG), Park Inn's signature restaurant.
* Park Inn Muscat, Oman includes 175 rooms, RBG and fitness and wellness area.
* The Park Inn Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, has 204 rooms and suites, two restaurants and outdoor pool.
In addition, Carlson signed 25 new properties, bringing the contracted pipeline of Park Inn properties to 54.
Park Plaza, Carlson's upper-midscale brand, added one property and signed two to its portfolio globally in 2009. The Park Plaza Noida, India, located in the National Capital Region, is a contemporary business hotel. It offers 88 well-appointed rooms and suites and a variety of food and beverage options. The Park Plaza Westminster Bridge in London, a 1,019-room property, moved into its final phase of construction. It is one of the largest new hotels in Europe and is scheduled to open in early February 2010. The 350 million pound Sterling hotel is situated at the foot of Westminster Bridge in the heart of London's bustling South Bank.
In addition, Carlson signed two new properties, bringing the contracted pipeline of Park Plaza properties to 14.
Regent, Carlson's luxury brand, announced this month that it will introduce its brand to India in 2013 with the unveiling of the development for The Regent Gurgaon.