Club Med officially opened Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda, its first-ever Exclusive Collection resort in the Americas, on November 23. The 93-acre resort is the first major site to open within the Miches region of the Dominican Republic.
The Four Boutique Villages
Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda introduces a new concept to the brand’s Exclusive Collection. To create a more personalized and intimate experience for each guest, the resort has four boutique villages with its own unique environment, activities and accommodations. The villages include:
- Archipelago – The Archipelago boutique village is an oceanfront sanctuary exclusively for adults. The 18 oceanfront suites each have their own private pool, outdoor shower and ocean views from the bedroom, while guests have exclusive access to a private section of the beach.
- Caribbean Paradise – The heart of the resort, this area is home to 111 rooms with a lively Caribbean ambiance. This village has two room types: Deluxe Rooms and Ocean View Junior Suites.
- Emerald Jungle – The Emerald Jungle boutique village is a relaxing eco-chic retreat with 48 deluxe rooms, and it is part of Club Med’s adult-exclusive Zen Oasis concept. The area is close to the Zen pool, fitness facilities, the spa and the wellness bar.
- Explorer Cove – Explorer Cove offers families a bunch of activities. Here there are 158 family accommodations with large rooms that are close to the children’s clubs and sports facilities. This village has four room types: La Perla suites, Ocean View Family Junior Suites, Deluxe Family Rooms and Deluxe Rooms. La Perla is an exclusive area with 16 oceanfront family suites and four oceanfront penthouse family suites with a rooftop terrace within Explorer Cove; this area also provides special access to its own private family pool, family bar and beach cabanas.
The resort’s eco-chic concept is based on five core pillars: agriculture, immersion, waste management, energy and people. Sustainability is at the heart of the resort with special programs and initiatives, including:
- No single-use plastics in the resort
- Locally sourced coffee and cacao products in the resort’s Coffee House, in partnership with local farmers
- Employee uniforms are created out of recycled plastic bottles (currently more than 200,000-plus bottles have been recycled for this initiative)
- Programs have been implemented to provide more than 900 locals with language, vocational and hospitality skill trainings
- Strict eco-friendly certifications from the best in the industry: BREEAM certification for the construction process, and Green Globe certification for the operations
- Solar panel project – an estimated 45,000 square feet of solar panels are being installed in the resort to generate renewable energy
- Programs to stimulate the local economy are underway via various farming development projects to increase the efficiency, quality and demand for local farmers
- In-resort plant nursery currently houses 30,000-plus new plants, and more than 2,000 trees were preserved or re-planted during the construction process
- Responsible excursion program offers sustainable activities to highlight the region’s natural gems and culture
- Family environmental workshops offer interactive, fun and educational sessions for parents and children to learn about the environment together and participate in hands-on gardening activities
Dining and Lounge Experiences
Guests have access to four unique restaurants, four open-bar lounges, three wine cellars, a locally sourced Coffee House and a Secret Chocolate Room. The resort’s gastronomy is led by executive chef Thierry Van Rillaer. Trained at several Michelin two- and three-star restaurants in Brussels, chef Van Rillaer oversees the resort’s menu, teams and operations of the resort’s four all-inclusive restaurants.
Activities and Entertainment
At Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda, guests enjoy more than 25 different sports and activities, including fitness classes, tennis, pickleball, archery, indoor climbing, circus activities (including the flying trapeze), kayaking, snorkeling, aqua fitness, team sports, dance classes, a guided running trail and various yoga classes.
The wellness program at the resort includes a scenic Treetop Wellness Canopy and oceanfront platform, meditation classes and five different types of yoga classes: Family yoga, gravity yoga, acro-yoga, aqua yoga and paddle yoga.
The resort hosts six distinct active experiences that are a must-try: Electric surfboarding, Hobie Eclipse (stand-up pedal board), treetop yoga class, family paddle boarding, a fitness trail and horseback riding on the beach.
The Cinq Mondes spa has single and double treatment rooms, reflexology and relaxation areas, hydrotherapy treatments, hot and cold plunge baths, steam room, sauna and a beauty salon.
The full range of children’s clubs includes Baby Club Med, Petit Club Med, Mini Club Med and Club Med Passworld, ranging from toddlers to 17-year-olds. The resort also offers Pyjama Club, a babysitting service for those moments when parents want to have their own date night.
For additional fun, the resort is equipped with a Little Gardeners’ House (an interactive family-friendly gardening experience), a children’s Splash Park, a kid-focused zipline and ropes course, and sports activities for parents and children to participate in together.