At the American Society of Travel Agents’ (ASTA) 2013 Global Convention, September 16-19 in Miami, FL, the travel industry paid tribute to a number of individuals and organizations that exemplified excellence in 2013.
"All of the award winners have made outstanding contributions towards moving our industry forward,” said Zane Kerby, ASTA president and CEO. “These individuals and organizations are not content sitting on the sidelines – they have worked tirelessly on behalf of the industry and their customers to create a stronger, more vibrant and sustainable environment. We applaud them.”
The 2013 award winners include:
Barbara O'Hara Advocacy Award: Presented by the Travel Technology Association (TTA) the award is given to ASTA members who have made the most significant contributions in advocating for the interests of the travel agency community before federal, state and/or local governmental authorities.
• Liz Mandarino, President, World Travel, Inc. (Douglassville, PA)
• Gloria Stock Mickelson, Sr. Manager, Education & Training, Travel Leaders Franchise Group and President, ASTA Upper Midwest Chapter (Plymouth, MN)
Extra Mile Award (Sponsored by AutoEurope): For the travel agent who has gone above and beyond for their clients.
• Debbie Tenny, Options Travel (Des Plaines, IL)
Chapter Advocacy Award: For the ASTA Chapter that has gone above and beyond in its support of ASTA’s advocacy efforts, including ASTAPAC fundraising, grassroots lobbying and new member recruitment.
• ASTA Midwest Chapter, represented by Chapter President Jorge Sanchez
Young Professional Award: For the young professional agent who has demonstrated exceptional enthusiasm for the industry and engagement in ASTA.
• Anthony Cheng , APF Travel/Go Latin (Alhambra, CA)
Chapter of the Year Award: For the ASTA chapters that have led in terms of meetings/events, new member recruitment and retention.
• Great Lakes Chapter, represented by Chapter President JoAnne Verboom
• Southern California Chapter, represented by Chapter President Pamela Irwin, CTC, CTA
Innovations Award (Sponsored by Comcast Spotlight): For the company that has provided the most innovative products and services to the travel industry.
• Apple (iPhone)