Despite a surge of competitors, Apple remains the brand of choice for wealthy investors when buying smart phones and tablets, according to a new study by Spectrem Group, a consulting and market research firm.
Overall, wealthy investors are increasingly using mobile technology and social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube, according to George H. Walper, Jr., president of Spectrem Group.
For example, with smart phones Spectrem reports:
• 46 percent of Mass Affluent investors, with at least $100,000 in net worth, not including their primary residence, own Apple phones compared to 34 percent of Android phones
• 48 percent of Millionaire investors, with at least $1 million in net worth, own Apple smart phones compared to 33 percent with Android phones
• 59 percent of Ultra High Net Worth (UHNW) investors have Apple phones versus 25 percent who have Android phones
For tablets, Spectrem says:
• 53 percent of Mass Affluent investors own Apple iPads compared to 16 percent with Kindle Fire tablets
• 61 percent of Millionaire investors use Apple iPads versus 15 percent who use Kindle Fire
• 57 percent of UHNW investors have Apple tablets compared to 7 percent with Kindle Fire and 7 percent with Nook with Internet.