Skiers and snowboarders welcomed the first official day of winter at the Colorado ski resorts of Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone with 5 inches of powder and at Vail with 4 inches of fresh snow, the resorts report.
Holiday weekend festivities will feature ice skating, the mountaintop Kidtopia Snow Fort at Keystone, Vail’s Holidaze events, torchlight ski parades that are part of Beaver Creek’s first-ever Winterfest, the 2,500-pound Keystone Chocolate Village, alpine coaster rides at Breckenridge and other events. The top five New Year’s Eve events cited by Vail Resorts include:
1. Keystone’s Icestravaganza Celebration
2. Vail’s Largest New Year’s Party at Dobson Ice Arena .
3. Breckenridge’s New Year’s Torchlight parade and fireworks .
4. Beaver Creek’s Kids Winter Wonder Parade
5. Two Tahoe celebrations include: The Fire and Ice New Year’s Eve celebration at Northstar California on the North Shore. Or Heavenly’s Ball Drop and Fireworks in the Heavenly Village on the South Shore.