The Southern California chapter of the American Society of Travel Agents (SoCal ASTA) honored Matthew Upchurch, CEO of Virtuoso, and Edie Rodriguez, CEO of Crystal Cruises, with its Diamond Award at the organization’s annual black tie event held January 23 at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
The annual event was attended by more than 270 agency owners and front-line travel advisors in Southern California. The evening's other notable award winners were:
- SoCal ASTA Susan D. Tanzman Advocate Award: Assembly member Jacqui Irwin from California’s 44th Assembly District for her recently authored bill AB1107 that updated the California Seller of Travel law;
- SoCal ASTA Travel Agent of the Year: Bell O. de Souza, Mansour Travel Company
- SoCal ASTA Allied Cruise Member of the Year: Susie Hogan, Oceania Cruises
- SoCal ASTA Allied Land Member of the Year: Joshua Poole, Starwood Hotels & Resorts
- SoCal ASTA Allied Air Member of the Year: Ted Brady, Emirates Airlines
- SoCal Allied Travel Insurance Member of the Year: Pam Ross, Travel Guard
- SoCal ASTA Compass/Partnership Award: Royal Caribbean International
SoCal ASTA President Pamela Irwin thanked SoCal ASTA members and volunteers for their continued support and for their efforts in making the evening a success. She also thanked the Beverly Hills Hotel for hosting the Diamond Awards for the third consecutive year. Assembly Member Jacqui Irwin presented each honoree with a Certificate of Recognition from the California Legislative Assembly.
SoCal ASTA will donate a portion of the proceeds from the evening’s silent auction to ASTAPAC, California Coalition of Travel Organizations, and two local charities: St. Vincent Meals on Wheels and The Fred Jordan Mission.