Las Vegas is the most affordable city in the United States for domestic travelers, coming in at a total cost of $263 on the new
TripAdvisor TripIndex 2012 listing.
TripIndex offers a cost comparison of accommodations and an evening out on the town for two people in popular tourist cities across the United States and throughout the world.
The TripAdvisor TripIndex is based on the combined costs for two of a one-night stay in a four-star hotel, one cocktail per person, a two-course dinner with a bottle of wine, and round-trip taxi transportation (two journeys of two miles).
The costs listed apply to the upcoming summer months (June 1 – August 31, 2012).
TripIndex Global Travel Steals:
• Hanoi, Vietnam rang up as the most affordable travel spot globally for U.S. travelers, with a TripIndex cost of $141.
• For U.S. travelers seeking a bargain European escape, Budapest, Hungary is the least expensive destination, with a total TripIndex cost of $194.
• Asia is the most affordable continent for U.S. travelers interested in summer deals, boasting six of the top ten most affordable cities. Total TripIndex prices in these Asian cities range from $141 to just over $200.
• The Big Apple narrowly edges Boston as the costliest U.S. city, with a TripIndex tally of $457, compared to Beantown's $450.
• Providing a worldwide stage this summer, London is the priciest global city for American travelers, with a cost of $518.
• Travelers heading south of the U.S. border will have to pay the most for a stay in Brazil's capital, with Rio de Janeiro revealed as the South American city with the highest price tag, at $362.
• Europe is the most expensive continent for U.S. travelers, with seven of the world's priciest cities on the Index (London, Oslo, Zurich, Paris, Stockholm, Moscow and Copenhagen).
For the second year, TripIndex reports that the Southern U.S. as the top region for travelers looking for domestic deals. The South features four of the top 10 most affordable U.S. destinations on the TripIndex: Dallas, New Orleans, Atlanta and Orlando, all with total prices between $283 and $309.
Hotels Set the Tone
Hotel costs were the pivotal factor in determining the most and least expensive cities on TripIndex:
• The cheapest average hotel room globally goes to Bangkok, at $81 per night – while at more than four times the cost, London rates are the most expensive, at $362 per night.
• The average cost of a room in the 10 cheapest global cities for hotels is $113, while the 10 most expensive destinations come in at an average of $262.
• The most affordable hotel room in the U.S. is in Las Vegas, where travelers can expect to pay $125. The most expensive room goes to Boston, coming in on the TripIndex at $354.
"For American travelers planning city trips, it's important to have an understanding of the day-to-day destination expenses," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications for TripAdvisor. "TripIndex is a useful resource to help travelers see how far their dollar will go, make budget-appropriate trip choices and offer inspiration for those considering a city trip this summer."