To help with Halloween celebrations, Travelocity’s travel experts have compiled a list of 13 destinations for a scary getaway either at home or abroad:
1. New Orleans, La. – New Orleans offers ghost tours in the Garden District to costume balls and a brand-new parade in the French Quarter. Visitors can stay in a haunted hotel like the famous Hotel Monteleone.
2. Chicago – The city offers a slew of spooky events and activities, including paranormal pub crawls and cemetery tours give a glimpse into ghouls, gangsters and unexplainable deaths. Travelers can stay at The Congress Plaza Hotel, located on Michigan Avenue.
3. Salem, Mass. – A number of spooky tours resurrect legendary stories of the witches, spirits and ghosts. Visitors can stay at the Hawthorne Hotel, located in the heart of Salem.
4. Portland, Ore. – Walking tours are offered and guests can stay at The Benson, A Coast Hotel.
5. Denver – Home to one of the most notable haunted attractions, The 13th Floor, Denver has a variety of haunted activities come October. Visit scary sites like Buckhorn Exchange, the Cheesman Park or even take a short drive to Estes Park and visit The Stanley Hotel - the inspiration behind Stephen King's famous novel, "The Shining." Guests can stay at The Brown Palace Hotel and Spa, Autograph Collection.
1. Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON – Considered to be one of the most haunted place in Canada, Niagara-on-the-Lake offers walking tours. Guests can book a stay at the Hilton Hotel and Suites Niagara Falls Fallsview.
2. Montreal, QC – One of Canada's oldest and most historic cities, travelers can book a ghost walk or ghost hunt with Fantomes Montreal Ghosts. Guests can stay at Le Petite Hotel, located in the heart of the historic District, surrounded by picturesque streets, art galleries, boutiques and cafés. Ghost tours are also offered.
3. Vancouver, BC – From the hitchhiking ghost of UBC to the haunted and historic Mountain View Cemetery there are plenty of scares in the city. Travelers can book a stay at the city's landmark Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, which is noted for its architecture.
4. Ottawa, ON – From the haunting of the Bytown Museum, Grant House and Chateau Laurier there is a lot of frightening sites for locals and newcomers alike. Visitors can also take ghost walk with the haunted walk of Ottawa tour guides. Guests can stay at The Fairmont Chateau Laurier, celebrating its 100th anniversary last year.
5. London – Frightful attractions include the London Tombs. Be sure to catch a glimpse of The London Eye at night to see its mysterious transformation. Jack the Ripper tours are also available. Guests can stay at The Langham London, situated in the heart of London's West End.
6. Sydney – The city has its fair share of haunted places and superstitions, which makes it a great destination for ghost admirers. Travelers can visit sites like the Quarantine Station on North Head where they offer a ghost tour. Guests can check in at The Russell Hotel.
7. Derry, Ireland – Visitors can book a stay at the City Hotel Derry, which is situated on the banks of the River Foyle and provides partygoers an ideal location to access all the festivities.
8. Bran, Romania – A number of tours offer vampire buffs the chance to discover the history of Dracula. Visitors can stay at the House of Dracula.