|The BodyHoliday, Saint Lucia|
Valentine's Day is around the corner, and for many it's the perfect time to express their appreciation for that special someone. For others, just thinking of it brings about a combination of negative emotions, from distress, to loneliness, to depression, to annoyance. Travel Agent ventured into some Anti-Valentine's Day getaways with singles in mind. Based on destinations where activities are well suited for single travelers or anything that doesn't scream red, hearts, and cuteness, here are our top five choices:
1. Newly Single Package at the Ritz-Carlton, South Beach offers luxurious accommodations guests. Enjoy a poolside cabana, sip Caipirinhas made by Master Mixologist Ramsey Pimentel, and take a half-hour mixology class to learn how to make the perfect "freedom" cocktail. After, relax with a Rhythm Massage, where a masseuse drizzles mojito oil on your body kneads your tired muscles with cross friction and percussion movements to merengue, salsa and rumba music, as if playing tambores. The getaway also includes a shopping map and prominent placement on a guest list for a local nightclub. The offer is valid through June 30, 2013. Rates start at $549 per night.
2. The Out NYC has plenty of eye-candy and just the thing for a heartbreak hangover with its Suddenly Single Package. Unwind in deluxe room accommodations after receiving a complimentary banana split upon check-in (from KTCHN Restaurant). Guests at The Out NYC will have access to a 90-day membership to Match.com, an entrance and a drink at the XL nightclub and a choice of: a 60-minute session with The OUT Personal trainer or two hours with a real estate broker, in case they're single and suddenly without apartment, or a 60-minute session with Robert Levithan, an LGBT psychotherapist. Rates start at $350.
3. Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa in Atlantic City is the ultimate destination for adults and the perfect place to forget their ex and meet new people. One of the only Las Vegas-style destinations on the East Coast, Borgata offers guests a chance to try their hand at the poker table, dine at Iron Chef restaurants like Sunbar by Geoffrey Zakarian, Bobby Flay Steak, or Wolfgang Puck American Grille, or get pampered at the luxurious Spa Toccare. Guests can also check out MIXX, mur.mur, or Gypsy Bar for the latest hits by top DJs and live band performances. Rooms from $329 per night.
4. The BodyHoliday, Saint Lucia’s premiere health and wellness resort, is the perfect spot for single like-minded travelers going through a break-up. Going above and beyond the typical all-inclusive, included in the rate are daily spa treatments, organized activities, group fitness, and spin programming at the new Tree House spin studio. The BodyHoliday also offers communal tables at all of their dining venues and 29 Single Garden rooms, making it the only Caribbean resort with dedicated singles rooms with no single supplement. Rates start at $450 per person, per night.
5. The new Pod 39 Hotel in New York City’s Murray Hill is the perfect option for singles who are done with loneliness on Valentine’s Day, and ready to be social. Book the Single Pod room option at ultra-affordable rates, each equipped with private bathrooms, bedside media hubs, free WiFi, and wall-mounted flat screen TVs. Connect with new friends in Pod 39’s communal space featuring an interactive screening wall in the lobby or spark up a conversation in Pod 39’s recently renovated lounge, which is part bar, part library, part workspace, and part communal center and features ping pong and flat screens. Rates from $119 per night.