Royal Caribbean has announced a $165 million renovation project for the Oasis-class Allure of the Seas ahead of the ship’s season in Europe next year. New features will include the Ultimate Abyss, said to be the tallest slide at sea; The Perfect Storm trio of waterslides; redesigned Adventure Ocean kids and teens spaces, the first Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen & Wine Bar; and Music Hall, a venue that originally debuted on the line’s Quantum-class vessels. The revamped ship will open its season of seven-night western Mediterranean cruises from homeport Barcelona, Spain, on May 10, 2020.
Additionally, the ship will receive a reimagined pool deck with two locations of The Lime & Coconut bar, as well as a wider variety of seating and shade with cabana-like “casitas,” daybeds, hammocks and swing seats; new whirlpools on the top deck; and a reinvigorated, adults-only Solarium.
The project will also add a Splashaway Bay kids aquapark with twin drench buckets, three waterslides, fountains, pools, water cannons and a Splash Pad for tots. In other family-friendly updates, the renovated Adventure Ocean area will have a completely new layout and activities, including rooms with climbable creations at Play Place; hands-on art, science and tech fun at Workshop; friendly competition in physical, interactive games at Arena; the Hangout, with gaming consoles; AO Babies for babies and tots; and experiential activities at the multipurpose AO Junior space specially designed for three- to five-year-olds.
The teen space will receive a new, speakeasy-like secret entrance leading into an exclusive lounge with gaming consoles, music, movies, places to hang out and a new outdoor deck. The project will also add glow-in-the-dark laser tag in Clash for the Crystal City and the Royal Escape Room – Apollo 18: Lunar Landing experience.
In terms of food and beverage offerings, the ship will receive a number of new bars and restaurants, including:
- Giovanni’s Italian Kitchen & Wine Bar will offer a family-style, rustic dining experience with an enhanced menu of Italian staples, complete with hand-tossed pizza from the new in-house pizza oven, an expansive charcuterie station and a wide selection of wines and limoncellos.
- Portside BBQ will serve up a menu inspired by popular barbecue styles across the United States, including brisket, pulled pork, chicken, burnt ends, mac and cheese, homestyle cornbread and more.
- Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade will host gameday watch parties on big-screen TVs, tournaments, bar bites and ice-cold beer.
- El Loco Fresh, will serve casual Mexican street fare.
- Sugar Beach will sell more than 220 types of candy and ice cream.
- Bionic Bar by Makr Shakr will be manned by two robot bartenders shaking up classic cocktails and custom orders.
Finally, the ship will also receive two new nightlife venues. Music Hall, which originally debuted on the line’s Quantum-class vessels, will host live music with revolving setlists and cover bands in a two-level space with lounge seating and a dance floor. Spotlight Karaoke will be a new, dedicated karaoke bar with both a main stage and private rooms.
Allure of the Seas will be the second Oasis-class ship renovated as part of the cruise line’s $1 billion Royal Amplified fleet modernization program, after Oasis of the Seas. The two ships will sail in Europe and the New York area, respectively.
In November 2020, Allure of the Seas will reposition to Miami for the winter season. Sailing from Terminal A, the ship will offer seven-night eastern and western Caribbean cruises, many of which will call at the line’s new private island destination in the Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay.