Princess Cruises' Caribbean Princess is set to add the new Reef Family Splash Zone during a drydock planned for this June, the cruise line reports. The renovation project will take place prior to most of the ship's season of summer cruises to the Caribbean.
Located aft on deck 17, The Reef will offer many features, including:
- Splashpad with Whale Feature – This interactive water playground has a splash pool, assorted water sprays and showers where families can enjoy a day of splashing, laughing and playing. The focal point is an interactive whale feature, with "rain" from its fluke.
- Game Zone – This area offers a spot for family competition with oversized backyard games, comfy lounge sectionals, and a kid-friendly bar setting. Here families can grab some cocktails and mocktails while challenging the kids to a game of Connect Four, Jenga or Cornhole.
- New Outdoor Furniture – With a variety of seating and lounging options, from single sun loungers to sectional chairs and couches with tables, The Reef transforms into a space for groups of all sizes to be comfortable and conversational, also with new fixtures and finishes.
- Shade Canopy and Wind Panels – For guests looking for less sun, a canopy will offer a section of the Reef shade and sun protection, while wind panels will be installed throughout the area for all-day comfort.
- Upgraded Lighting and Music System – Updated lighting to the pool and steps, as well as wall lighting installations, will allow the space to be utilized for evening events and activities.
- Refurbished Pool, Jacuzzi and Bar – The existing pool, spa and bar will be updated to match the newly designed space with updated signage and contemporary artwork. In addition, just below the Reef on deck 16 in the Camp Discovery outdoor area, kids can interact and explore with a destination-themed water table. This educational offering features the many destinations and landmarks Princess visits, including the Sydney Opera House and Golden Gate Bridge, and it also highlights how a cruise ship moves through water, waves and weather -- even how to navigate the Panama Canal locks.
Over the last few years Caribbean Princess has undergone a major revitalization, with many family-oriented features and amenities, including new technology, family accommodations, new dining experiences and entertainment offerings.
Caribbean Princess was the first Princess cruise ship to debut Princess MedallionClass vacations, offering guests a portfolio of experiences specifically designed to enhance their cruise vacation. The OceanMedallion wearable device incorporates technology that delivers personalized service through enhanced guest-crew interactions, eliminates friction points and enables interactive entertainment. Offerings include:
- Fast ship boarding with OceanReady – Guests who arrive at the terminal with travel documents (i.e. passports) uploaded to their profile have an expedited check-in process. Personalization starts pre-cruise by guests becoming OceanReady while at home.
- On demand beverages – Using smart devices, guests have the ability to order drinks using OceanNow and have them delivered directly to their location throughout the ship and in their stateroom.
- Faster Wi-Fi – Fast, reliable, affordable and unlimited, MedallionNet provides land-like speeds that allow families to stay connected from anywhere on the ship, Princess says, including in staterooms, which are each equipped with a Wi-Fi access point.
- Locate and chat with friends and family – OceanCompass, available on guests’ smart devices and portals throughout the ships, leverages the OceanMedallion to enable point-to-point wayfinding throughout the ship. OceanCompass guides guests throughout their journey, providing directional information so they can navigate to their next point of interest, as well as easily locate and chat with friends and family on board using ShipMates.
Princess Cruises has also partnered with Discovery Inc. to create “Discovery at SEA” onboard programming that brings to life many of the destinations visited while on a cruise, as well as favorite Discovery and Animal Planet shows. Onboard activities include:
- Stargazing at Sea & Voyage to the Stars Indoor Planetarium – Science Channel and Princess Cruises take guests on a cosmic voyage looking at the sky from the top deck on an interactive guided tour with a Stargazing Specialist, identifying major constellations and learning the secrets of the stars and the folklore around them. The indoor “Voyage to the Stars Planetarium” displays real-time images of constellations and planets. Both indoor and outdoor stargazing includes commentary from Discovery at SEA’s Science Channel Ambassador Astrophysicist Dr. Hakeem Oluseyi and Kari Bryon from Mythbusters.
- Camp Discovery – Newly rebranded “Camp Discovery” Youth & Teen Centers offer cruisers ages 3 to 17 engaging new experiences and wonder-filled centers inspiring creativity, curiosity and entertainment.
- High Seas Heist with Detective Joe Kenda – Princess guests go on the case with celebrity detective Lt. Joe Kenda to see if they can solve a heist whodunit. This voyage-long experience begins with the theft of a rare necklace and ends with the unmasking of the culprit. In between is a journey full of puzzles, clues and activities as guests narrow down their suspect list with help from Lt. Kenda via video segments.
- Discovery Hit Shows – Discovery at SEA incorporates content from hit shows and programming like Shark Week, Finding Bigfoot and Mythbusters through activities, challenges and trivia.
With family travelers in mind, Caribbean Princess offers 87 connecting staterooms. All stateroom types can accommodate up to four people. Families of five or more can also be accommodated in a two-bedroom family suite. Each stateroom includes the cruise line’s Princess Luxury Bed, designed in collaboration with sleep exert Dr. Michael Breus.
Caribbean Princess begins a season of summer Caribbean cruises beginning on May 14, offering alternating seven-day Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings, roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale. For a special deal, the All Aboard Sale is available through February 28.