Scenic has appointed Academy Award winner Helen Mirren as the Godmother for the line's first Discovery Yacht, Scenic Eclipse. The vessel is slated to embark on its inaugural journey on August 15, 2019, leaving from Reykjavik, Iceland on a 13-day itinerary, finishing in Quebec on August 27. The ship will be christened in New York City on September 10, 2019.
Mirren won the Academy Award for Best Actress in 2007 for her performance in The Queen. She will break a bottle of champagne against the hull of the ship to commemorate Scenic Eclipse.
Features of the upcoming Scenic Eclipse include:
- 114 all-verandah suites that range in size from 345 square feet to 2,659 square feet
- 10 dining options ranging from Asian Fusion to French fine dining to a chef’s table to a poolside buffet
- A 5,920-square-foot spa with a gym and separate yoga and Pilates studio
- Two six-guest helicopters and one six-guest submarine capable of depths of nearly 1,000 feet
- A theater for entertainment and lectures
- Indoor and outdoor plunge pools; butler service for all guests
- A 1:1 guest-to-staff ratio.
The vessel is also equipped with zero-speed stabilizer fins, which are 50 percent larger than standard to enhance stability. It also has the highest passenger ship ice class rating – Polar Class 6, redundancies in propulsion, navigation, safety systems and food refrigeration, bridge systems and a GPS dynamic positioning system, which acts like an anchor.
Scenic Eclipse will also embark on a 13-day “Taste of Caribbean” and an 11-day “Colombia & Panama” exploration voyage in October. Prices start at $7,995 and $8,095 per person, respectively.
For more information, visit https://www.scenicusa.com/