Princess Cruises has announced that the Island Princess will become the fourth cruise ship to feature the new Ocean Medallion class, debuting May 16, 2018, for the Alaska cruise season.
The wearable Ocean Medallion, powered by a new technology platform within the One Cruise Experience Access Network (O·C·E·A·N), aims to enable a more personalized experience for cruise guests. Announced by Arnold Donald, CEO of Princess Cruises parent company Carnival Corporation, last month at CES 2017, Princess Cruises is the first Carnival Corp. brand to debut the new technology.
The three other cruise ships rolling out the new technology are Regal Princess on November 13, 2017, followed by Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in early 2018. Starting on May 16, 2018, Island Princess will set sail with the Medallion class in Alaska on the Voyage of the Glaciers seven-day itinerary between Vancouver and Anchorage (Whittier), with a trip to the state’s best glacial waters including Glacier Bay National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The heart of the Medallion Class is the Ocean Medallion, which can be worn as a pendant, on a wristband, in a clip or in a pocket to allow a number of enhanced services and personalized experiences without guests having to push a button or take any action, Princess said. Before the cruise, guests can also use the service to provide their preferences so that their onboard experiences can be personalized.
Pairing with the Ocean Medallion is the Ocean Compass - a digital concierge accessible by all guests using interactive displays throughout the ship, on stateroom TVs, via guests’ own smart devices, or through a crew member. For example, guests can find their way to venues around the ship; make reservations at the Lotus Spa, specialty dining restaurants and shore excursions; arrange celebrations; view photographs; learn about the destinations they will visit and activities at each port of call and more. The Ocean Compass will invite guests to experiences based on their individual needs, wants and desires, Princess said.
Some of the new amenities include:
- Ocean Ready: Expedites embarkation as required information is added to the guest profile at home.
- Stateroom Access: The Ocean Medallion will unlock a guest’s stateroom door – replacing the key card.
- HERE & NOW: Guests can place food & beverage orders and have them delivered to select locations.
- THERE & THEN: Guests can place select food and beverage orders and have it delivered to where they plan to be at a designated time.
- Ocean Navigate: Accessed through the Ocean Compass, guests can learn the whereabouts of their family as they enjoy activities throughout the ship and be guided seamlessly in finding their way around the ship. Friends and family will also be able to easily communicate with each other through a messaging service.