Norwegian Cruise Line has announced that Harvest Caye, the cruise line's new resort-style port of call in Belize, will now open in November 2016.
Plans for the new development were announced back in August 2013, when Norwegian Cruise Line purchased approximately 75 acres in Southern Belize for the planned development of an eco-friendly cruise destination. The land, called Harvest Caye, is made up of two adjoining islands in the Stann Creek and Toledo districts that had previously been approved for a resort development with an air strip.
At the time of its announcement plans called for a cruise destination consisting of two locations: an island destination with docking/tendering facilities and a mainland connection point for inland tours. Major components of the project are anticipated to include a floating pier, island village with open-air structures on raised platforms, marina, transportation hub for tours to the mainland, a lagoon for a variety of water sports and a beach area.
According to 7 News Belize, the destination was originally scheduled to open February 16, 2016. In late December of last year Valdemar Andrade, director, destination planning and cruise, BTB, told 7 News Belize that the project had been delayed.
In a statement released today by Norwegian, Vivian Ewart, vice president, passenger services, said that the grand opening will now take place in November 2016. Guests sailing on Western Caribbean cruises now through mid-November will instead call in Belize in Belize City.
Further details on final plans for the destination and the experiences will be revealed in early 2016. Norwegian said it plans to send a communication to booked guests later this week with revised itinerary details.