Princess Cruises will be the first Carnival Corporation brand to use the Ocean Medallion, a wearable device to enhance the guest experience. The first-of-its-kind interactive technology platform utilizes a network of proprietary sensors and computing devices embedded throughout the ship, home ports, and destinations.
Regal Princess will be the first to get the device (available November 13, 2017), and will be followed by Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in early 2018.
The Ocean Medallion has no discernible technology (no on-off switch, no charging, and no menu to navigate) and can be worn as a pendant on a wristband, in a clip, or placed in a pocket. Prior to the cruise, guests will provide preferences regarding their wants and needs during the cruise to assist the program with creating a personalized experience.
Paired with the Ocean Medallion is the Ocean Compass, a personal digital experience concierge accessible by all guests using interactive displays throughout the ship, on stateroom TVs, and mobile devices. Uses include: directions, making reservations at a restaurant or spa, planning shore excursions, viewing photographs, and learning about the destinations. The Ocean Compass will work similarly to the Medallion, as it will prompt guests with options based on their individual needs, wants and desires.
Some of the initial service innovations include:
- Ocean Ready: Embarkation is expedited as required information is done at home.
- Stateroom Access: The Ocean Medallion can unlock a guest’s stateroom door, replacing the key card.
- HERE and NOW: Guests can place dining orders and have them delivered to their current location, including from their lounge chair or on the top deck.
- THERE and THEN: Guests can place a beverage order and have it delivered to where they plan to be at a designated time. For example, guests wanting to enjoy a glass of wine at the theater can place an order prior to the show and it will be delivered to their seat.
- Crew at Your Service: With the Ocean Medallion, guest experiences will be curated in alignment with their preferences allowing the crew to assist at all times.
- Ocean Navigate: Guests can keep tabs on their family throughout the ship and be guided seamlessly in finding their way around the ship. They will also be able to easily communicate with each other through seamless messaging service.
More announcements surrounding innovations and enhancements from Medallion Class Ocean Vacations will be announced in the months leading up to the first sailing on Regal Princess.