Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has revised a number of its itineraries with sailings that include Cuban port calls following the Trump Administration’s decision to end people-to-people travel to Cuba.
“All 2019 sailings on the Majesty of the Seas and Empress of the Seas will have alternative ports in the Caribbean,” a spokesperson for the cruise company tells Travel Agent. “Guests will have the option to cancel their current booking for a full refund, or to keep their sailing date with a new itinerary and receive a 50 percent refund.”
Royal Caribbean said that it is working on alternate itineraries for 2020 sailings and that it will share details with guests and travel agents as they become available.
“We appreciate our guests’ patience and flexibility as we adjust to accommodate the new regulation,” the cruise company said.
The move follows Carnival Corporation’s announcement that its cruise brands, including Carnival Cruise Line, Holland America Line and Seabourn, would not be able to sail to Cuba under the new restrictions. Carnival Cruise Line is in the process of modifying its itineraries with Havana calls and reaching out to its affected guests.
At press time representatives of other cruise brands, including Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Oceania Cruises and Virgin Voyages, have told Travel Agent that they are monitoring the impact of the new regulations.
On Tuesday the Trump Administration announced that it was amending the regulations regarding travel to Cuba, most notably ending the “people-to-people” category of educational travel to the country under which many cruise lines and tour companies had operated. A grandfather clause continues to allow certain group people-to-people travel for which at least one travel-related transaction had already been made.