Silversea has announced a new lineup of onboard enrichment programs for 2017 spotlighting opera, ballet, food and wine, bridge, wellness and learning.
Here are the highlights:
Opera Cruises in Partnership With Accademia Teatro alla Scala
Based in Milan, Italy, Accademia Teatro alla Scala (La Scala Theatre Academy) is one of the world's foremost performing arts academies, Silversea said. Soloists from its Academy of Lyric Opera and a piano accompanist will perform a selection of opera's most beautiful librettos for the enjoyment of Silversea guests aboard three Mediterranean cruises: two aboard Silver Spirit, including a June 25 Rouen-to-Lisbon voyage that will feature the special presence of operatic star Luciana Serra, and a September 21 sailing from Athens to Venice; plus one aboard Silver Muse on July 15, sailing Athens to Rome.
Ballet Cruises With Russian Ballet Soloists
Daria Khokhlova and Artemy Belyakov, ballet performers of the State Academic Bolshoi Theater of Russia, one of the world's most renowned ballet companies, are returning to Silversea for exclusive engagements aboard Silver Spirit's August 25 and September 3 Mediterranean voyages. The dance stars will again appear on stage in the ship's Show Lounge for two performances during each sailing.
Ballet Cruise With L'Opéra de Paris Star
Solo performer Jean-Sébastien Colau of L'Opéra de Paris will take to the stage along with a partner aboard Silver Whisper's June 16 Northern Europe voyage and its October 23 sailing from Montreal to New York.
Culinary Arts & Wine Voyages
A collection of specialty voyages highlights the culinary arts with guest chefs and vintners:
- Silver Spirit's June 14 "Champagne Cruise" from Lisbon to Rouen will present special onboard tastings and classes, plus a shore excursion in partnership with Pommery Champagne.
- An October 7 "Tastes of the Mediterranean" cruise aboard Silver Spirit, hosted by guest chefs Umberto Menghi and Michael Jacob, will include culinary demonstrations, market visits, gala dinners and culinary-focused shore excursions.
- Silver Shadow's October 8 "Relais & Châteaux Gourmet Cruise" will welcome Relais & Châteaux guest chef Dominique Bouchet, owner of the eponymous restaurant in Tokyo, for gala dinners and cooking demonstrations presented in addition to a L'École de Chefs cooking school program hosted by David Bilsland, Silversea’s corporate chef.
- Silver Spirit's October 23 "Wine Cruise" is presented in partnership with Comitato Grandi Cru d'Italia, an association of top Italian winemakers, and the Professional Association of Italian Sommeliers (ASPI). Its wine enrichment program will spotlight a collection of some of Italy's finest vintages as top sommeliers Gennaro Buono and Giuseppe Vaccarini guide and educate guests in the art of winemaking.
- Silver Explorer's October 25 "Culinary Expedition Voyage" in South America will showcase Peruvian and Chilean guest chefs and regional specialties. Guests will have a chance to prepare their own seafood dishes.
Wellness Expedition Voyages
Silver Discoverer offers wellness-themed programming on a quartet of expedition voyages to Micronesia, Melanesia and Australia, including departures on October 4, 18 and 25, and one on November 9. Guests enjoy a comprehensive and complimentary program that includes stretching, yoga and Pilates classes, daily lectures and cooking demonstrations, gym sessions led by personal trainers using Technogym fitness equipment, and choice of one complimentary spa massage treatment.
Silversea has created a special experience for bridge enthusiasts. On Silver Wind’s November 10 Barcelona-to-Barbados sailing, guests can compete to win prizes in the second Silversea bridge tournament. On this special voyage, featuring American Contract Bridge League life masters Gerald Fox and Steve Smolen, guests can earn ACBL master points, attend seminars, and meet other bridge players from around the world.
The Silver Perspectives enrichment program welcomes destination experts and distinguished guest speakers on board for lectures and conversation. Invited speakers include authors, journalists, naturalists, diplomats, professors and other specialists whose topics range from politics and the environment to tribal customs and ancient history.