Windstar Cruises is launching a new Signature Expeditions program that will take travelers on small-ship cruises to Alaska, kicking off in May of 2018. The journeys aboard the 212-passenger Star Legend will include on-board entertainment and instruction like complimentary enrichment classes, one-to-one discussions and topical presentations with outdoor experts; plus, a series of off-ship, personalized excursions for guests to take advantage of.
Windstar has put together a team of expedition specialists—geologists, glaciologists and marine biologists—to assist with the creation of Windstar’s new Signature Expeditions in Alaska. These experts will accompany guests on the trips and the active excursions as well, providing commentary, interacting with guests, and answering questions throughout the cruise.
The off-the-ship excursions, led by the on-board experts, include:
- Misty Fjords Kayaking: Take a two-and-a-half-hour kayak expedition through the Misty Fjords National Monument and discover local flora and fauna along the way. Travelers will have the chance to see bald eagles, brown or black bears, mountain goats, and numerous waterfalls.
- Kenai Zodiac Tour: Take a zodiac boat tour around the Kanai Fjords National Park area and ride by the tidewater glaciers that flow from the Harding Icefield, taking in the scenery along the way. Participants may see harbor seals, black bears on the beach, bald eagles and puffins.
- Wrangell Interpretive Walk: Led by two Expedition staff members, this hike provides scenic views and an immersive forest experience with an elevation gain of about 400 feet. Guests will get to see the surrounding mountains and the town and waterways below.
- Land Tours to Denali: Windstar is offering pre- and post-cruise Alaska land tours for its sailings in 2018. These 5-day journeys take travelers from Seward to Fairbanks, visiting Anchorage, Talkeetna and Denali National Park along the way.
- Kroschel Wildlife Sanctuary: Visit the 60-acre wildlife sanctuary near Haines that is home to Alaskan wildlife. Caregiver Steve Kroschel will oversee the visit.
- Taku Lodge Feast & Glacier Seaplane: From Juneau, take a seaplane ride to the Taku Lodge on the Taku River, passing over the glaciers surrounding the Tongass National Forest along the way. At the lodge, guests can enjoy a menu of fresh and homemade local fare.
- Fishing the Inside Passage: This outing in Wrangell offers a chance to catch a variety of fish from halibut to salmon in the Pacific waters along the Inside Passage of Alaska.
These optional expeditions are available at a per guest price of $40 for hikes, $170 for kayak tours and $150 for zodiac tours.