At an event celebrating Windstar Cruises as the official cruise line of the James Beard Foundation at the Beard House in New York City, the two organizations unveiled the full lineup for their James Beard Foundation Culinary Cruise Collection. The Culinary Cruise Collection will be offered on eight sailings in the Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Asia and the Caribbean, giving cruisers the opportunity to interact and taste creations from James Beard Foundation-selected chefs.
Guest chefs on the James Beard Foundation Culinary Cruise Collection will host an intimate cooking demonstration of a signature recipe that will be served on that cruise, as well as added to the rotating menu in AmphorA, Windstar’s main dining room. The Culinary Cruise Collection will host culinary demonstrations, special menu items, culinary shore excursions and local market tours.
The alliance between Windstar Cruises and the James Beard Foundation began in 2016 and aims to elevate local culinary encounters for cruise travelers. It also introduces travel enthusiasts to the work of the James Beard Foundation, including focusing on sustainable food advocacy and identifying the influence that leading chefs and restaurateurs have in their communities.
Windstar’s James Beard Foundation Culinary Cruise Collection
- May 6, 2017 - Islands of the West Med
- Chef Jennifer Jasinski of Rioja, Euclid Hall, Bistro Vendome, and Stoic & Genuine in Denver, CO
- June 16, 2017 - Cuisines & Cultures of Spain, Portugal and France
- Chef Annie Pettry of Decca in Louisville, KY
- August 4, 2017 - Lands of the Midnight Sun
- Chef Paul Berglund of The Bachelor Farmer in Minneapolis, MN
- September 2, 2017 - Gaelic Explorers
- Chef Renee Erickson of The Whale Wins, The Walrus & the Carpenter, Barnacle, Bar Melusine, Bateau, and General Porpoise in Seattle, WA
- October 18, 2017 - Islands of the West Med
- Chef Amy Brandwein of Centrolina in Washington, D.C.
- November 10, 2017 - Jewels of the Windward Islands
- Chef Keith Rhodes of Catch Restaurant in Wilmington, NC
- December 9, 2017 - San Juan & the Virgin Islands
- Chef Mario Pagan of MARIO PAGAN Restaurant, SAGE Steak Loft, Dorado Beach & Golf Resort, San Juan, Puerto Rico
- January 20, 2018 - Icons of Southeast Asia
- Chef Lee Anne Wong of Koko Head Cafe in Honolulu, Hawaii
The James Beard Foundation Culinary Collection is in addition to a marquee food- and wine-themed cruise in August with acclaimed chef, restaurateur, and author Hugh Acheson. The itinerary sails to the wine region of Bordeaux for an overnight stay, aboard the James Beard Foundation Epicurean Explorations of France, Spain, and Portugal voyage.
In addition and as part of the partnership, as the exclusive cruise line of the James Beard Foundation, Windstar is a sponsor of the acclaimed James Beard Awards; JBF’s Taste America tour – a two-day tour in 10 different cities around the U.S., including fundraising dinners and complimentary culinary tastings; the JBF Celebrity Chef Tour – a dinner series in more than 20 cities; and Chefs & Champagne – the James Beard Foundation’s annual summer tasting party in the Hamptons.