Riviera Nayarit, Mexico, is celebrating its 10th year with 10 new developments. Known for its luxury and natural wonders, Riviera Nayarit is situated along 192 miles of pristine Pacific coastline adjacent to the Sierra Madre Mountains. Just a 10 minute drive north of the Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport, the area is home to the resort town of Nuevo Vallarta, the historic village of San Blas, exclusive celebrity hideout Punta Mita, surfing haven Sayulita, fishing villages, miles of beaches, and the Banderas Bay.
Here's what you should watch out for in Riviera Nayarit.
1. Costa Canuva CIP - This is the largest development project in the area, a $1.8 billion investment located on over 550 acres and more than four miles of beach. The development is scheduled to add over seven thousand guestrooms in five new luxury hotels, including the first Fairmont property in the region and the first PGA golf course co-designed by Lorena Ochoa and Greg Norman.
2. La Mandarina Complex - The 125-room One&Only Mandarina hotel is set to open in late 2018. The development of La Mandarina in the Monteón at Compostela takes the development a step further. This new complex spans over 630 acres and will include two polo fields, an equestrian center, two obstacle courses, villas and new hotels, including a Rosewood property.
3. Jala-Bahía de Banderas Highway - After the recent completion of the first stretch of the Jala-Bahía de Banderas Highway, the second and third sections are underway, with the Compostela to Las Varas section set to be completed by December 2017 and Las Varas & Las Vara to Bahia de Banderasis to begin construction in 2018. This new 105-mile highway will reduce the drive time from Guadalajara to Riviera Nayarit’s beaches from five hours to approximately two hours.
4. Cirque du Soleil Theme Park at Grupo Vidanta - Grupo Vidanta has brought a new golf course and convention center to the area. Still in the works is a Cirque du Soleil theme park scheduled to open in 2018. This immersive theme park will include a water and nature park as well as an outdoor evening show that will be able to accommodate 3,000 to 5,000 guests.
5. New Highway and Dock in San Blas - The Government of the State of Nayarit recently opened the new Tepic-San Blas Highway, which reduces the driving time between the capital and the Historic Port to 20 minutes. Combined with the new dock in San Blas, the coastal town is expected to see an increase in domestic visitors.
6. The Grand Krystal in Flamingos - The Grupo Hotelero Santa Fe has acquired and will expand the Hotel Bel Air in Flamingos, which will operate under the Krystal Grand brand. This property will add 480 guestrooms and one suite as well as a new convention center and a dozen restaurants and bars. Completions is scheduled for the end of 2017.
7. The Grand Sirenis Matlali Beachfront Development - $28.5 million has been invested to build the second stage of the Grand Serenis Matlali beachfront development which includes 140 suites scheduled to open December 2017. Future development will take place on the 790 acres situated on the mountain.
Early Stage New Developments
8. Marival Group Expands at Marival Residences - The Marival Group has purchased land adjacent to the Marival Residences. The company plans to build their first beachfront property, set to open on October 2018. The new luxurious property will offer ocean views and seaside experiences.
9. New Hotel Iberostar in Litibú- Construction is set to begin soon for the second Iberostar hotel in Riviera Nayarit. This $80 million property will house 300 rooms.
10. Grupo Brisas Expands with Hotel Nizuc - Grupo Brisas is currently scouting land in Riviera Nayarit for a Hotel Nizuc, the luxury brand for the group.