Classic Escapes, a travel company specializing in nature and cultural journeys, is offering a 10-day Uganda Gorillas & Wildlife Itinerary through their Great Escapes program, with opportunities to spot gorillas, chimpanzees, lions, hippo, leopard, elephant, buffalo, hundreds of bird species and unique animals such as the Ugandan kob.
The itinerary, which visits Entebbe, Kibale National Park, Queen Elizabeth National Park and Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, has a guaranteed departure date of November 1-10, 2018, though additional departure dates can be added upon request, and there are more departures coming for 2019.
On this itinerary, travelers will:
- Spend two nights at the Primate Lodge based in the heart of Kibale Forest National Park, an ideal base to view a range of wildlife such as 325 bird species – including Uganda’s national bird, the Crowned Crane – and chimpanzees.
- Explore Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda’s second largest park and a UNESCO world biosphere since 1979. The park is home to hippopotamus, lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, topi, bushbuck, warthog, hyena, civet and more, as well as over 25 percent of Africa’s bird species.
- Search for the Ugandan kob, a mammal similar in appearance to the impala that travels in small herds and establishes permanent breeding grounds.
- Embark on a two-hour launch trip on the Kazinga Channel and Lake Edward to view large concentration of hippo, elephant and buffalo, along with Nile crocodile, African rock python, monitor lizard and many bird species.
- Look for the famous tree-climbing lions in the plains of Ishasha enroute to Bwindi.
- Visit Bwindi Impenetrable National Park (a UNESCO World Heritage Site and true African “jungle” due to its dense vegetation and undergrowth), home to at least 120 species of mammals, and trek to see the endangered, habituated mountain gorilla families.
- Wander through a Buhoma village to learn more about the traditional African way of life, support the local community by participating in cultural activities and chat with a traditional healer.
This trip includes accommodations throughout, all meals on safari, wildlife open-roof viewing in four-wheel-drive safari vehicles, national park and reserves entry fees, gratuities for baggage handling and hotel/lodge taxes, and complimentary emergency evacuation insurance. Permits to trek for mountain gorillas and chimpanzees is an additional fee currently estimated at $750 per person for both activities. International airfare, meals not specified in the itinerary and personal expenses are not included in the pricing.
For more information, visit www.classicescapes.com.