Discover Puerto Rico, the Island’s first-ever Destination Marketing Organization (DMO), is commemorating its one-year anniversary.
The destination’s year-to-date revenue is the highest in the its history, with $445M reported through May. A total of 1.67M visitors traveled to the Island across the San Juan, Ponce, and Aguadilla airports in the first few months of 2019, which is highest number of airport arrivals in the January-April timeframe in the Island’s history.
Since launching last July, Discover Puerto Rico has been working on five major initiatives including.
- Decreased negative perception: Discover Puerto Rico examined the negative perceptions travelers and meeting planners had, to enhance both the leisure and meetings and conventions segments.
- Repositioned the brand for growth: Because branding throughout the years has not been consistent, Discover Puerto Rico repositioned the brand. A new brand identity, research-based marketing strategy and brand campaign are seeing results and positioning the Island for positive long-term growth.
- Revamped digital marketing: Discover Puerto Rico is greater connected to travelers online. The new website, modified approach to driving social media engagement, and strong digital ad performance, are yielding good results.
- Enhanced the meetings and conventions business: Discover Puerto Rico injected strong interest to catalyze Puerto Rico into becoming a leading force in the meetings and conventions space.
- Increased operational efficiency and effectiveness: The DMO is getting ready for industry accreditation to make Discover Puerto Rico considered among the highest in quality and performance standards for destination marketing and management.
Puerto Rico is expanding its list of experiences and becoming an LGBTQ+ community due to its culture of inclusivity, and variety of attractions and nightlife. The medical tourism sector will also be one of growth in the future.
Notable happenings include the 500-year anniversary of San Juan, with cultural events beginning in Fall 2019, the opening of District San Juan, a five-acre hospitality and entertainment district, and being named the host destination for the upcoming World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) 2020 Global Summit.
For more information on the destination, visit: DiscoverPuertoRico.com.