Universal Orlando Resort in Florida has revealed details on its new Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley expansion.
The new themed environment, which opens in summer 2014, will double the area of the park dedicated to Harry Potter's adventures, expanding it from Islands of Adventure to encompass both Universal theme parks.
Guests access the new area by climbing aboard the Hogwarts Express in Hogsmeade - the park's current Harry Potter-themed area in Islands of Adventure - for a train journey to the magical London alley of the fantasy series.
Just as with Hogsmeade, Universal's creative team has been working with Stuart Craig and the production team from the Harry Potter films on the new area. After arriving at King’s Cross Station aboard the Hogwarts Express, guests will pass through London and the brick wall archway from the films into Diagon Alley, which will offer shops, dining experiences and a new ride called Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts.
In the new area guests can:
- Board the Hogwarts Express and journey between London’s King’s Cross Station (in Universal Studios Florida) and Hogsmeade Station (in Universal’s Islands of Adventure). The journey will be filled with views of London and the British countryside – as well as a few surprises. Park-to-park admission is required.
- Experience a the new Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, which will place riders in the middle of an adventure as they navigate their way through the perils of the Gringotts vaults
- Witness the experience of a wand choosing a wizard at Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC
- Discover the darker side of magic in Knockturn Alley, which offers Borgin and Burkes – a shop specializing in the Dark Arts that will offer a wide variety of Dark objects, such as Death Eater masks, skulls, and other sinister items
Guests can also explore some of Diagon Alley’s famous shops, including:
- Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, a shop featuring novelty items, magical jokes, and toys inspired by the books and films
- Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, where guests will find a variety of wizardwear from Hogwarts school uniform ties, scarves and jumpers, to wizard’s robes and character costumes
- Magical Menagerie, which offers a collection of plush animals, such as owls and Hippogriffs
- Wiseacre’s Wizarding Equipment, where guests can grab wizarding essentials such as telescopes, binoculars, armillary spheres, compasses, magnifying glasses and hourglasses
- Quality Quidditch Supplies, offering a wide assortment of apparel and equipment including Quidditch sweaters, brooms, Golden Snitches, Bludgers, Bludger bats, Quaffles and more
- Scribbulus, which sells writing implements and products such as feather quills, ink and inkwells, bookmarks, journals, parchment paper, seals, stationery sets and postcards
Additionally, guests can enjoy traditional British fare like fish and chips, bangers and mash and more at the Leaky Cauldron. Florean Fortescue’s Ice-Cream Parlour offers frozen treats in a variety ofunique flavors, such as strawberry-and-peanut-butter ice-cream and many others.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Islands of Adventure opened in 2010. That area includes Hogwarts castle – which houses the Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey attraction – and the village of Hogsmeade.