One of the five newly renovated suites at Cachoeira Inn
Last year Travel Agent told you about the vibrant nightlife town of Búzios in Brazil and how that was a perfect selling point for guys’ and girls’ getaways. Since then Búzios, commonly referred to as “The Hamptons of Brazil,” has evolved for many into the first leg of a honeymoon in Brazil, says Mike Eiseman of VIP Tour Group, a Brazil specialist for Signature Travel Network.
“There are tons of honeymooners who want to go to Búzios, then Rio [de Janeiro] and then Angra dos Reis,” says Eiseman. “They start at Búzios because that’s where you do most of your partying.”
Eiseman says 30 percent of all his bookings are done through Signature Travel Network agents. The other roughly 70 percent are direct bookings from consumers, of which about two-thirds are honeymooners.
“On a honeymoon, you don’t want to take another plane and that’s what’s great about Búzios, it’s about a two- to three-hour ride to Rio,” says Eiseman. “So, it’s like going on two or three different vacations at once.”
Where to Stay
The Cachoeira Inn is building a reputation as perhaps Búzios’ finest hotel. The three-story property completed a five-year renovation project costing $2 million in 2008. The five-suite house has terra-cotta tiles, which helps to beat the tropical heat. The owners overhauled the historic house, and replaced the electrical system, plumbing, floors, roofs and walls. The 6,780-square-foot property has eight levels, across which are scattered five bedrooms with baths, a large open-plan living area, kitchen, office and a self-contained two-bedroom apartment for the live-in housekeepers. The outside space includes two large veranda areas, one with a pool, and six terraces, one with a Jacuzzi and another with a small pool and waterfall.
SuperClubs will open a 330-room Breezes Búzios Resort in October. The sprawling resort will include a spa, mini golf course, cycling paths, roller-skating park, archery center, bowling alley and convention facilities. Apart from rooms and suites, the resort will feature 110 villas.
“We’re excited about opening Breezes Búzios this fall, especially on the heels of Breezes’ rebranding,” Paul Pennicook, president of SuperClubs Resorts, told Travel Agent. “We have been involved in the development of this bustling tourism center for many years. This is our third property in Brazil. Breezes will be the first major resort in the area, and we are anticipating tremendous support from the U.S. market.”
SuperClubs made its first foray outside the Caribbean in September 2000, when it opened Breezes Costa Do Sauipe in Bahia, the destination’s first all-inclusive resort.
The resort is part of the Costa Do Sauipe mega resort, the largest tourism, leisure and entertainment complex in South America.
In March 2001, SuperClubs signed an agreement with Sonesta International Hotels to operate up to 10 properties. The deal allowed SuperClubs and Sonesta to jointly promote the development of conventional city and condo-hotel properties in Brazil.
The first SuperClubs-managed Sonesta hotel, the 350-room Sonesta Sao Paulo, opened in December 2004, and Sonesta Brasilia opened in October 2006.
SuperClubs’ family favorite Starfish Ilha de Santa Luzia opened in Sergipe, Brazil, in September 2007. The $18 million project, situated on almost four miles of private beach, boasts 208 rooms, a swimming pool, three restaurants, five bars and a Kids’ Club.
A rendering of SuperClubs’ new Breezes resort in Búzios, opening in October
Búzios, which was first brought to international renown by legendary film star Brigitte Bardot (the city has a statue of the actress), has 26 beaches, close to the old downtown. Though small in size, the city is considered one of the best in Brazil for dining out, with more than 20 eateries, some of which are rated among the country’s finest. In fact, Eiseman says, of Brazil’s top 30 restaurants, about five or six are in Búzios. A night out in Rua das Pedras, a small fishing village, is a must if you wish to be away from the “action.”
Who Goes There?
Apart from honeymooners, Búzios is largely a spot for younger clients looking to party into the wee hours. It’s also a great sell for older couples and families due to its many great restaurants and water-based activities.
People from Rio de Janeiro often go to Búzios on weekends and holidays. The typical stay is about two to three days. According to Búzios tourism officials, the destination receives about 1 million visitors in summer.
The nearest airport is Galeão International Airport in Rio de Janeiro. Most major U.S. carriers fly there. Transfers can be arranged and rental cars can also be booked by contacting local transportation company Venturini at 011-55-22-2623-61867, or [email protected].
Rooms at the Breezes Búzios resort, as seen in this rendering, will feature balconies with ocean views