|Photo by Freeimages.com/rendo79|
NoMa, an active and culturally dynamic neighborhood situated in Washington, D.C., is set to host a lineup of summer events and activities this season, including the re-opening of the REI Community Space at Wunder Garten, NoMa's pop-up Bavarian Bier Garten and the launch of the "United Outside" campaign.
Additionally, The NoMa Business Improvement District will also be hosting the NoMa Summer Screen, a series of movie showings taking place throughout July and August.
REI, a retail chain that carries gear, apparel and footwear for a range of outdoor and fitness activities, is bringing back its Community Space at Wunder Garten, providing locals and visitors a chance participate in outdoor classes, happy hours, fundraisers and parties throughout the summer months. Additionally, in honor of its D.C. flagship store scheduled to open this fall, REI also recently announced their "United Outside" campaign, marking 100 days of outdoor recess dedicated to the belief that “in the outdoors we can all find common ground.” Several of the program’s events will take place at Wunder Garten.
Events included in the "United Outside” program are:
- REI D.C. Flagship Sneak Peak, July 11: Guests can sip beer and sample s'mores while meeting the general manager of the new store and other REI leaders. A sneak peak of store's design will also be included.
- Free Weekend, July 16-17: No charge for Capital Bikeshare rentals, Key Bridge Boathouse rentals, REI Outdoor School classes and entry to C&O Canal National Historic Park at Great Falls Tavern, MD. The evening of July 16 includes a party at Wunder Garten with beer, s'mores and giveaways.
- Outdoor Women's Night, July 21: A night of storytelling, drinks, vendor clinics, instructional sessions and giveaways.
- Thingamajig Gear Swap, July 30 and October 8: Buy/sell/barter/trade used gear with other outdoor enthusiasts while listening to live Appalachian music and sampling craft beer. A portion of ticket sales will support Living Classrooms, a local outdoor nonprofit.
- Wild Kitchen Sunday Supper Series, Dates throughout summer: Each night will highlight a local chef and the entire ticket price benefits a local non-profit that supports the outdoors.
In addition, NoMa Summer Screen, a free, 13-week outdoor film series, will be held every Wednesday from June 1 to August 14 at NoMa Junction at Storey Park (1005 First Street NE). This year, with support from REI as the title sponsor, adventure-themed movies will be screened at sunset, accompanied by music, giveaways, food trucks and picnicking. The event has been ranked as one of the "Top 10 Best Outdoor Movie Theaters in America" by Travel and Leisure Magazine.