Mincetur, Peru’s ministry of foreign trade and tourism, released a statement Monday regarding the country’s ongoing strikes.
Several media outlets reported last week that protesters in Peru blocked the train line to the famed Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, stranding thousands of tourists.
According to the Associated Press (AP), the customer service desk for the British-owned PeruRail company said service was being suspended Wednesday, July 12 and Thursday, July 13 because of the protest by local residents demanding that the government reverse its cancellation of a planned new airport. According to the report, that protest merged with a strike by some 20,000 teachers demanding pay raises.
“The Tourist Protection Network is working along with the Ministry of the Interior and all the relevant institutions in order to take all the necessary measures to ensure the safety of visitors,” according to the statement.
The government’s Andina news agency said more than 1,000 riot police had been sent to the region, according to the AP.
“Mincetur encourages everyone to preserve the safety and free transit of all citizens, domestic and foreign tourists, as well as respect for the public and private property,” according to the statement.
According to the U.S. Embassy in Peru, in early July, the U.S. Embassy in Lima had received reports from the Peruvian National Police that demonstrations occurring in and around Cusco could last up to several weeks.
“Travelers should take into consideration that there may be disruptions to transportation services during this time,” the Embassy said in a statement in early July. “While flights are operating normally, transportation to and from the airport as well as around the city of Cusco could be impacted.”