The ninth edition of Curacao North Sea Jazz Festival, whose festivities begins August 29, has announced new names that will take the stage in the upcoming months. Pitbull is scheduled to open on the Sam Cooke stage on Friday, August 30 and will be followed by Mariah Carey on Saturday. The organization also confirms performances by Maxwell, Michael McDonald and Kenny G will perform on Friday, while Aloe Blacc and David Sanborn were added to Saturday’s lineup. They join the previously announced Maroon 5, Ozuna, Gladys Knight and Third World. The festival opens on Thursday, 29 August with free concerts of Havana D’Primera and Aymée Nuviola. Tickets for this evening will be distributed in Sambil on Sunday 2 June.
The following artists are scheduled to perform:
- Maroon 5: This American band has sold over 20 million albums and received three Grammy Awards. Their debut album, Songs About Jane, became their big breakthrough.
- Juan Carlos Ozuna Rosado: Known simply by his surname Ozuna, he is a Puerto Rican reggaeton and Latin trap singer. In early 2016, Ozuna became famous for his appearance on the single La Ocasión.
- Gladys Knight: With her band The Pips, the “Empress of Soul” had great hits, such as I Heard It Through The Grapevine. At the end of the 1980s Knight began her solo career and became an overnight success with the James Bond title track License To Kill.
- Third World: Calling themselves ‘Reggae Ambassadors’ and describing their sound as reggae fusion, this Jamaican band combines reggae with several other genres like funk, soul and disco.
- Havana D’Primera: Founded by Alexander Abreu in 2008, the Cuban Timba band was formed by a collective of musicians in the Cuban music scene, numbering 17 members in total.
- Aymée Nuviola: A singer from Cuba who trained at the Manuel Saumell Conservatory in Havana. Nicknamed ‘La Sonera del Mundo,’ Nuviola is one of the biggest Cuban stars of today.
Pitbull is an American rapper, producer and songwriter of Cuban descent from Miami. In 2004, Pitbull released his first album M.I.A.M.I., which heavily featured Lil Jon. To date, he has released 10 albums, the latest being 2017’s Climate Change. For his 2015 album, Dale, Pitbull received a Grammy Award for Best Latin Rock, Urban or Alternative Album. In total, he has sold over 5 million albums and 60 million singles worldwide and has reached No. 1 in 15 countries.
The singer Mariah Carey rose to fame in 1990, with her hit single "Vision Of Love." With a five-octave vocal range and signature use of the whistle register, Carey became became the first artist to have their first five singles reach No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Carey has won five Grammy Awards, 19 World Music Awards, 10 American Music Awards and 14 Billboard Music Awards. She has sold over 200 million albums worldwide.