State Department Issues Cuba Travel Warning Over Sonic Attacks

Havana, Cuba
Photo by Joe Pike

The State Department has issued a new travel warning for Cuba, citing attacks on employees at the U.S. embassy in Havana. Officials are also ordering all nonessential embassy staff members out of the country.

Over the past several months, numerous U.S. Embassy Havana employees have been targeted in specific attacks, the State Department wrote in a statement on its website. These employees have suffered significant injuries as a consequence of these attacks. Affected individuals have exhibited a range of physical symptoms including ear complaints and hearing loss, dizziness, headache, fatigue, cognitive issues, and difficulty sleeping.

Because our personnel's safety is at risk, and we are unable to identify the source of the attacks, we believe U.S. citizens may also be at risk and warn them not to travel to Cuba, the State Department said, noting that attacks have occurred both in U.S. diplomatic residences, as well as hotels frequented by U.S. citizens.

DAILY NEWS & DEALS NEWSLETTER

Like this story? Subscribe to Daily News & Deals!

Featuring breaking news on the latest product launches, deals, sales promotions, and executive appointments. Be sure to sign-up for this free industry daily newsletter.

On September 29, the Department ordered the departure of nonemergency U.S. government employees and their family members to protect their safety. Due to the drawdown in staff, the State Department warns that the embassy will have limited ability to assist U.S. citizens, providing emergency assistance only. U.S. citizens in Cuba in need of emergency assistance should contact the embassy by telephone at +(53)(7) 839-4100 or the Department of State at 1-202-501-4444. U.S. citizens should not attempt to go to the U.S. embassy as it suffered severe flood damage during Hurricane Irma, the State Department said.

CNN is reporting a string of mysterious attacks against U.S. diplomats. According to that report, several U.S. officials told CNN that 21 U.S. diplomats and family members became ill after apparent sonic attacks. The American embassy will continue to operate with a 60 percent reduction in staff, according to the report.

At least 21 staff members and two Canadians reported health problems ranging from mild brain trauma and deafness to dizziness and nausea, according to the BBC. Cuba denies involvement in any sonic attack, according to the BBC.

According to the New York Times, despite an intensive investigation by the F.B.I., the cause and perpetrators of the attacks remain a mystery, with some experts speculating that some kind of sonic weapon or faulty surveillance device may have been at fault.

According to the New York Times report, American officials will continue to meet with their Cuban counterparts, but not in Cuba, until the cause of the attacks is uncovered, officials said. The most recent attack occurred in August, according to that report.

Keep visiting www.travelagentcentral.com for all your latest travel news. Be sure to follow Travel Agents Joe Pike on Twitter @TravelPike and Instagram @pike5260.

Related Links

Trump Looks to Reverse Obamas Policies Toward Cuba

Senators Reintroduce Bill to Fully Lift Travel Restrictions to Cuba

Holland America Becomes Latest Cruise Line to Sail for Cuba

Empress of the Seas Expands Cuba Sailings for 2018-2019 Season

Suggested Articles:

Empty nesters should take advantage of the lower cost of taking the same vacation they would usually go on with the whole family. Here are some ideas.

July 2019 was the best one-month period ever for Saint Lucia and, year-to-date, 2019 is up 7.5 percent over last year for the same period. Read more here.

The fundraising event will be attended by notable tennis players Andy Roddick, Mark Knowles, Tommy Haas and James Blake. Learn more here.