In its latest push in the digital realm, Tourism Australia is partnering with YouTube to support the second YouTube Symphony Orchestra, which will travel to Australia in 2011.
Today’s announcement of the visit follows the successful YouTube Symphony Orchestra event in 2009 that saw 90 musicians from 30 countries play a sold-out performance at Carnegie Hall in New York as well as attracting 25 million views from 226 countries to the Symphony channel.
Tourism Australia will support the YouTube Symphony Orchestra 2011 initiative through its global public relations activities such as the international media hosting and visiting opinion leader programs.YouTube Symphony Orchestra 2011 includes online auditions open to musicians around the world including Australia, from October 13 to November 28. An expert panel from leading orchestras around the world will select the semi finalists from all the entries for the YouTube community to cast their vote online from December 10 to 17 before announcing the musicians who are selected from this semi finalist group on January 11, 2011.
The musicians selected for the YouTube Symphony Orchestra 2011 will be invited to a week of rehearsals and master classes at an orchestra and summit at Sydney Opera House on 20 March 2011, culminating in a performance conducted by Grammy Award-winning conductor Michael Tilson Thomas. The performance will also be streamed live globally.
Tourism Australia’s other digital marketing activities include:
* Australia.com – one of the Top 5 National Tourist Office sites in the world based on Hitwise information. Traffic to the site grew 50 percent year on year to 9.8 million unique visitors in 2008/09 and then by 81 percent in 2009/10 to 18 million.
* There’s nothing like Australia campaign – largest user generated content activity in Australia with close to 30,000 published entries.
* Launch of video channel in YouTube in June 2010 – one of the top three channels viewed in the travel category in the US, Canada, UK and NZ.
* Facebook fan page – biggest country page globally with 800,000 plus fans and second largest fan page in Australia (AC/DC is first).
* Viral video ‘Trip in a minute’ – over 550,000 views online.
* Walkabout Planner iPhone app – launched June 2010 and has had 6,000 plus downloads since launch.
* Over 90 digital marketing campaigns completed over the last 12 months to support campaigns in region.