Universal Orlando Resort has unveiled expansion plans for its CityWalk entertainment complex in 2014.
Universal will open eight new venues across CityWalk throughout 2014. The expansion comes after a nationwide search for culinary concepts that include a mix of established national brands, up-and-coming concepts and Universal's own creations. The new venues will share an overall theme that includes inviting common areas, al fresco dining, open kitchens and more.
The new plans for CitWalk are part of a series of expansions at Universal Orlando next year. 2014 will also see the debut of the destination's largest hotel, Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Travel Agent got a chance to check out the new property recently, and we were impressed by the hip and retro design.
Here are the new venues planned for CityWalk:
- Red Oven Pizza Bakery (Now open): The first-ever Neopolitan-style pizza bakery at CityWalk. Pizzas are made fresh while customers wait.
- Antojitos Authentic Mexican Food: Inspired by the cantinas, street carts, and markets of Mexico, this venue offers tapas-style dining.
- Hot Dog Hall of Fame: Has hot dog creations inspired by some of our nation’s most famous ballparks. Signature hot dogs include a loaded Chicago dog with all the toppings, a charred Boston brat and a monster LA dog.
- The Cowfish: This concept from North Carolina pairs sushi with creative burgers for an untraditional dining experience. The result, "Burgushi," includes sushi rolls created using burger components and sandwiches created using sushi elements.
- A new modern Italian kitchen concept: This new modern Italian restaurant created by Universal Orlando will offer the opportunity to watch as the culinary team handcrafts pasta from scratch to create fresh takes on classic dishes.
- Cold Stone Creamery: For more than 25 years, Cold Stone Creamery has served up ice cream, cakes, smoothies and shakes using their signature process of preparing custom ice cream creations on a frozen granite stone.
- Bread Box: Offers classic street corner deli sandwiches.
- Menchie’s: The last new venue will be an incarnation of the popular frozen yogurt shop.
Also new next year at Universal Studios is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley. Building on the success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade in sister park Islands of Adventure, which opened in 2010, the new Diagon Alley will be linked to Hogsmeade by The Hogwarts Express, which arrived at the end of October.
"We want Universal CityWalk to grow along with the rest of our destination," said Ric Florell, senior vice president and general manager of resort revenue operations at Universal Orlando. "We are bringing our guests an amazing new collection of experiences that will be world-class and offer something for everyone."