According to Avanti Destinations, Thailand and Vietnam are increasingly popular destinations for independent travelers. Tours of temples, historic cities and markets, as well as cooking classes and snorkeling are among the best-selling activities that FIT specialist Avanti Destinations recommends.
According to Mark Grundy, Avanti’s managing director, Thailand is their most popular Southeast Asian destination because of its people, diversity, landscape, and cuisine. Additionally, Vietnam is popular thanks to its beaches, culture, and history with the United States.
Avanti provides suggested itineraries as a starting point for a customized vacation.
“Thailand Essentials” is a nine-day, eight-night itinerary that includes hotels, transfers, sightseeing tours and activities in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Phuket, starting at $1,495 per person, double occupancy. A 13-day, 12-night “Thailand Discovery” itinerary adds lesser known destinations, including Kanchanaburi, Phitsanulok, and Lampang to the Essential four with a starting rate of $2,785. “Vietnam Essentials” explores Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An – a river port for 300 years -- and Ho Chi Minh City in eight days, seven nights, starting at $1,155 per person, double occupancy.
Agents are able to add or subtract days, destinations, and activities to these packages. Popular add-on tours include:
- Private tour of city, temples, klongs – Seven hour tour in Bangkok that includes exploring the gold-leaf-covered Reclining Buddha of Wat Pho, Grand Palace, Temple of the Emeral Buddha, the pagoda of Wat Arun and boat ride along the River of Kings and the Klongs (canals) of Thonburi. $159 per person.
- NEW Phang Nga Bay and Khai Island by Speedboat – The full-day in Phuket is a shared tour exploring beaches, mangrove swamp,s and 150-year old village built on pillars, plus time for swimming and snorkeling. $169 per person.
- Private Doi Suthep & White Hmong Village Visit – Half-day private tour in Chiang Mai allows guests to experience hill tribe life and hike to the gold-leaf-covered temple. $85 per person.
- NEW Private Cai Be Floating Market & Vinh Long – 9.5-hour tour of a floating fruit and vegetable market in Ho Chi Minh City. The tour then visits orchards and local cottage industries at Mekong River Islands. Guests see how residents make traditional treats and are able to sample the delicacies. $125 per person.
- NEW Water Puppet Show – A unique variation on an ancient Asian tradition, Vietnamese water puppetry began as entertainment when rice fields flooded. $39 per person.
- Private Cultural Dinner with Musicians – Join a professional musician couple in Hanoi in their home for an evening of conversation and food. $149 per person.
Visit www.avantidesinations.com for more information.