Los Angeles culinary icon Roy Choi unveiled the first dishes that will be served at Park MGM’s new Korean barbeque restaurant Best Friend. Opening December 19, the Las Vegas hotel’s new dining offering will be an evolution of the chef’s Los Angeles-based Koreatown.
Appearing in a Facebook Live event, Roy Choi introduced the dishes that will make up Best Friend’s new menu. Some highlights include:
- Tamarind Cod Hot Pot – A combination of Vietnamese and Korean cuisine, the dish features tamarind spiced broth, cod and Korean vermicelli noodles.
- BBQ Spicy Pork – Thinly sliced pork belly and shoulder are marinated in a sweet and spicy kochujang sauce, then charred on the plancha with onions.
- Slippery Shrimp – Choi’s crispy take on honey walnut shrimp coats the shrimp in a creamy, spicy sauce mixed with cilantro, walnuts and sesame seeds.
- Soon DuBu Hot Pot – This vegan stew filled with umami offers a mixture of soft and firm tofu in a spicy broth.
- Fritto Misto Rogers – A tempura medley featuring an assortment of fried vegetables, such as shishito peppers and cauliflower, served with a ponzu dipping sauce.
- Fried Bologna Sandwich – A callback to the same snack he used to fix himself at home, this simple sandwich just combines fried bologna and swiss cheese.