Starwood Hotels & Resorts has officially introduced Sheraton Grand, the company's new premier tier of Sheraton hotels.
The first ten Sheraton Grand properties are in destinations ranging from Bangalore to Beijing, Dubai to Edinburgh, Miyazaki to Seoul, Taipei to Bangkok, and Tokyo to Rio de Janeiro. By year end, Starwood expects to have 50 newly-designated Sheraton Grand hotels around the world with plans for 100 by early 2017.
Sheraton Grand is part of a series of moves at Starwood aimed at revitalizing the brand and the company. Starwood first announced plans for Sheraton Grand at the NYU International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference in New York as part of the company's Sheraton 2020 plan, a 10-point plan to improve performance and boost revenue at Sheraton. The plan also includes a $100 million Sheraton-focused marketing campaign, the implementation of revenue and profit-driving initiatives to benefit owners and developers, and a goal of opening more than 150 new Sheraton hotels worldwide by 2020.
The Sheraton 2020 announcement followed an executive reshuffling at Starwood following a disappointing first quarter report for 2015, as well as the resigntaion of former CEO Frits van Paasschen back in February. As part of that reorganization, Dave Marr was appointed global brand leader, Sheraton and Tribute Portfolio.
Sheraton Grand is billed as the "best of the Sheraton brand," with criteria including:
- Resorts, convention properties, and urban hotels that offer unrivaled standards of service and outperform guest satisfaction benchmarks
- Dynamic guestrooms and public spaces exhibiting sophisticated design and elevated finishes
- Desirable and sought-after locations ranging from primary city settings to spectacular beachfronts
- Impressive hotel amenities, including top-rated restaurant concepts and renowned chefs, superior gyms, unique Sheraton Club lounges, and an array of idyllic spa options
- Inspiring and state-of-the-art function space for events, meetings, and conferences
As Sheraton Grand formally launches worldwide, the tier will also encompass a number of existing properties that historically list Grand or Grande in their title and also demonstrate the best of the brand, Starwood said.
These are the first 10 Sheraton Grand hotels:
- Sheraton Grand Bangalore Hotel - Brigade Gateway
- Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Hotel Dubai
- Sheraton Grand Edinburgh Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort
- Sheraton Grande Ocean Resort
- Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
- Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel
- Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel
- Sheraton Grande Walkerhill
Other recent announcements regarding the Sheraton 2020 plan include the introduction of the new Paired lobby menu, an SPG promotion, and the launch of the brand's new visual identity and re-designed website, Sheraton.com.