When Hurricane Odile came ashore at Los Cabos in Baja California on Sunday and Monday, September 14-15, 2014, The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos had sustained damage, forcing the property to close. However, this summer, the resort reopened its doors as The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, following major repairs and renovations that aim to upgrade the oceanside hospitality experience.
The newly renovated property, designed by architect Javier Sordo Madaleno, offers 147 villas ranging from studios to the 2,200 square foot Presidential Suite. Each room is equipped with kitchenettes and amenities suitable for all kinds of travel: family, weddings and honeymoons, girls/guys getaways and more.
Renovations to the property include all interiors of the public spaces, F&B outlets, guest units and landscaping. The resort's Wi-Fi and Internet service were also fully updated. All of the units were redesigned and reconfigured to become studio, two bedroom and two bedroom premium villas; colors and textures of the local culture inspired each room’s design.
The accompanying Spa Otomi is also newly renovated, drawing inspiration from Mexican Otomi culture in its embroidered textile furnishings. The main restaurant and bar also pay homage to Mexican tradition with black clay pottery. A local Mexican artist was commissioned to create the back mural of the lobby, which is hand carved and painted in an interpretation of the cave paintings found throughout the Baja California area.
Regarding new additions, the inner garden section of the hotel called Oasis has been transformed with seating areas and three double grill barbecue stations. The Plaza Cortez, a dedicated space along the oceanfront to host weddings, events and other social gatherings is also newly built.
The main pools and pool decks return from the original resort, though these areas are also refinished and its equipment was replaced.
Property activities include:
- Food and wine guests can purchase from the Mercadito and outdoor barbecuing at the community grills
- Spa days at the property's Otomi Spa, with services ranging from mani/pedis to a variety of massages
- An assortment of organized activities such as Taco Night Tuesdays at Cocina Casera and classes for children at the Family Kids Club
- An array of drinks and meals at one of four venues:
- The upscale, gourmet restaurant El Ciruelo, with sweeping views of the ocean and Los Cabos landscape
- Cocktails and light bites at the oceanfront Margaritas swim-up poolside bar
- Casual menus at both La Cantina Sports Bar and Coralline, located beachside
- Regional and international cuisine Cocina Casera
- Three pools with culinary options, interactive classes and views of the ocean
- Meetings & events spaces for business, family reunions, or destination weddings
Visit starwoodhotels.com/westin for more information.