Leadership at a new office in New York for luxury travel provider Cox & Kings leads this week’s news in executive appointments in the travel industry.
This week Cox & Kings reported that it has opened a new office in New York City as part of a move aimed at strengthening its presence in the United States. The new office is led by Vice President of Marketing Jared Alster. Most recently co-founder of startup Stride Travel and director of marketing for Intrepid Travel, Alster will lead an office that also includes Yasmin Mana, who joined the company last year as director of sales, East. Mana will oversee and foster relationships with the travel agent community along the Eastern Seaboard.
In other tour operator news this week, Island Routes Caribbean Adventures named Morgan Ritch-Azan its new trade marketing manager. Ritch-Azan has led marketing and franchise operations for the company, as well as worked with the development and transition team at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. Ritch-Azan will oversee all aspects of Island Routes’ trade marketing efforts.
In cruise news, Carnival Cruise Line has named Chris Chiames to the newly created role of vice president and chief communications officer. Reporting directly to Carnival President Christine Duffy, Chiames will advise the line’s leadership team and assume responsibility for its corporate reputation management, internal and external communications, issues management, executive communications and other communications. Chiames hails from Sabre Corporation, where he served as senior vice president of corporate communications.
Fellow cruise line Holland America has also recently made a number of new executive appointments as part of a restructuring of its sales teams, all of which are under the leadership of VP of Sales Eva Jenner. Names to know are:
- Michele Sutter, director, Strategic Account Sales
- Christine Stevens, senior director of Field Sales
- Charles Dunwoody, senior director, National Account Sales, North America
- Rob Coleman, senior director of Sales Planning and Development
- Denella Ri’chard, senior director, Trade Communications and Engagement
- Nate Burdulis, senior manager, Strategic Accounts
- Tara Schreiner, senior managers, Strategic Accounts
- Amy Barnett, senior sales representative, Strategic Accounts
- Jackie Day, senior manager of Field Sales, western
- Cathy Larson, senior manager of Field Sales, central
- Lucy Owen, senior manager of Field Sales, eastern
- Tami Normann, senior manager of Field Sales, Canada
In air travel news, Oakleigh Thorne has been appointed the president and CEO of airline broadband provider Gogo, effective immediately. Michael J. Small has stepped down as president and CEO, as well as a director of the company. Thorne has served as a director of Gogo since 2003 and has approximately 30 years of leadership experience.
United Continental Holdings, parent company of United Airlines, has elected Michele J. Hooper as an independent director of the company. With more than two decades of corporate board experience and financial and governance expertise, Hooper will be nominated by the board for reelection at the 2018 annual meeting of stockholders.
In hotel news, Preferred Hotels & Resorts has made three appointments to its executive team that the family-owned company says is aimed at strengthening female leadership. Michelle Woodley has been promoted to President; Kristie Goshow has been named Chief Marketing Officer; and Caroline Michaud has been promoted to Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications & Public Relations. Woodley takes over as president from Preferred CEO Lindsey Ueberroth after 15 years with the company. Goshow, who has led teams for Sabre Hospitality, Jumeirah and Viceroy, is taking over for Casey Ueberroth. Michaud has been with Preferred since 2012.
Hotels and hotel brands have also made a number of new sales appointments this week. They are:
- Luz Orbaiz, director of national accounts, Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Christine Sahakians, director of national accounts, Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Nerissa Edwards, national sales manager, Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Jacqueline Gomez, executive meetings manager, Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- Deanna Thomas, director of sales and marketing, The William Vale in Brooklyn
Finally, a number of major hotels appointed new general managers this week:
- Eliezer Quinones, a former pro baseball player, has joined Chileno Bay Resort & Residences
- Mark Stebbings, Miraval Arizona
- Robert M. Berry, Jr., Miraval Austin