Fancy spending the holidays in Aruba? According to American Express Travel, it’s set to be a hot destination for holiday travel this year, leading the organization’s list of top 10 holiday destinations.
American Express Travel said it analyzed its internal booking database comparing the increase in flight bookings for the fourth quarter, with a further analysis by Amex Travel Experts. The top 10 holiday destinations are:
- Aruba (+31%) – Untouched by recent hurricanes, this Caribbean island continues to trend as a holiday destination for travelers across the world. With its white sand beaches, crystal clear waters and relaxed vibe, this island is an escape from the colder weather up north.
- Buenos Aires (+28%) – Boasting rich architecture, creative energy and stylish citizens, the capital of Argentina is a hot destination this holiday season, with travelers visiting to experience the Argentine Christmastime traditions – a unique blend between European and South American – all in the heat of the southern hemisphere summer.
- Reno Tahoe (+78%) – An emerging city and the perfect place to cozy up this holiday season, this Western city is at the center of Nevada’s craft beer movement, with eclectic cafes and gastropubs throughout the Midtown district; surrounded by the snow-topped Sierra Mountains and some of the best skiing out West on Mt. Rose, Homewood, Diamond Peak and Squaw Valley.
- Geneva (+60%) – Bundle up around the fireplace with authentic fondue in Switzerland’s second-most populous city this winter. A global center of finance and diplomacy, Geneva offers snow-capped mountains, vibrant green landscapes and traditional European Christmas markets for travelers to fully immerse themselves this holiday season.
- Incheon (+87%) – A metropolis in the midst of a real estate revolution, this South Korean city provides an untraditional yet unique holiday experience by blending Western Christmas traditions with the local Korean culture. Expect to find Christmas decorations and celebrations across the city during the holiday season.
- Malaga, Spain (+164%) – Situated on the Spanish southern coast, visitors will experience the blend of Roman and Baroque architecture, rich Mediterranean cuisine and the famous Christmastime lights to add to the city’s romantic ambiance.
- Lima, Peru (+23%) – An oceanside city with an unrivaled food scene that blends native Incan traditions, colonial cuisine and modern takes, Lima is steeped in a rich culture like no other. Travelers can immerse themselves in Peruvian holiday traditions such as La Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) and the following festivities and indulge in traditional Peruvian foods lechón and panetón.
- Montreal (+59%) – Celebrating its 375th birthday this year, Montreal is a bustling, snowy city where nature meets urban life and history pairs harmoniously with the new. Boasting many Christmas parades and holiday-themed events, this Canadian city offers visitors a fully festive, snow-covered Christmas.
- Frankfurt (+47%) – This 2,000 year-old metropolis is one of the most unique in Europe, with skyscrapers that sit next to historic Gothic buildings, an incredible beer scene and a world-famous Christmas market that boasts elaborate and creative stand decorations and a huge Christmas tree to fully encapsulate the holiday spirit.
- Portland (+31%) – Located on the border of Washington and Oregon, this laid-back city continues to grow as a holiday tourist destination with its hip vibe, trendy craft beer scene and a lengthy list of Christmas parades, shows and a real Holiday Express Train that will put every visitor in a festive mood.