The American Society of Travel Advisors (ASTA) has announced its Board of Directors’ newly elected Directors-at-Large, who will officially begin their two-year terms at the close of ASTA’s Global Convention in Fort Lauderdale next month. There were eight candidates running for three open at-large seats on the Board, ASTA said.
The following are the newly elected national Directors-at-Large, in alphabetical order:
- Marc Casto, SVP Corporate Operations, Casto Travel
- Jackie Friedman, President, Nexion Travel Group
- Tiffany Hines, President & CEO, Global Escapes, Inc.
The at-large directors returning to serve the final year of their current term on the Board are as follows:
- Dave Hershberger, Prestige Travel, Inc./Travel Leaders (Chairman)
- Rick Ardis, Ardis Travel
- Betsy Geiser, UNIGLOBE Travel Center
- Olga Ramudo, Express Travel
- Patty Thorington, Plaza Travel
In a written statement, ASTA CEO Zane Kerby said that the Board will work ASTA on the organization’s advocacy mission.
One issue facing ASTA at the moment is California AB 5, a bill that would change how independent contractors are defined in the state and shake up the independent contractor model for travel agencies. Along with the California Coalition of Travel Organizations (CCTO), ASTA is planning a joint lobbying day for August 6 to argue for an exemption in the bill for travel agencies.
Along with our partner publication, Luxury Travel Advisor, we are conducting a poll on how the legislation could affect travel agency owners and independent contractors. You can participate here.