A ruling by the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has allowed the latest version of President Donald Trump’s travel ban to go partially into effect.
Reuters reports that a three-judge panel of the court partially granted a Trump administration request to temporarily block a previous judge’s ruling that had put the new ban on hold, barring people from Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia and Chad who do not have “formal, documented” connections to the United States from traveling there.
“We are reviewing the court’s order and the government will begin enforcing the travel proclamation consistent with the partial stay,” Justice Department spokesperson Lauren Ehrsam told Reuters. “We believe that the proclamation should be allowed to take effect in its entirety.”
According to NPR, the ruling will still allow people, including “grandparents, grandchildren, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins,” to travel to the U.S. from affected countries.
The ruling “closely tracks guidance previously issued by the Supreme Court,” Hawaii State Attorney General Doug Chin told the Honolulu Star Advertiser. “I’m pleased that family ties to the U.S., including grandparents, will be respected. We continue to prepare for substantive arguments before the 9th Circuit on December 6 in Seattle.”
This latest version the travel ban was blocked by a judge in Honolulu in October, as well as a judge in Maryland. The 9th Circuit is set to continue to hear arguments on the case on December 6, while a separate appeal in Maryland is scheduled to be heard December 8.