OAG Reports Strong Global Air Service Growth

Every region of the world is enjoying air service growth, led by service growth to the Middle East, reports OAG. While rates of growth in both capacity and service vary widely by region, OAG’s monthly Frequency and Capacity Trend Statistics (FACTS) report sees the fastest growth in service to the Middle East, increasing 11 percent, overall. Dubai International Airport (DXB) is a strong contributor to that growth, increasing 14 percent in seat capacity, year over year. This and additional data is available in the September 2010 edition of OAG FACTS.

September seat capacity and frequency in the Middle East increased 11 percent, both within and to and from the region. Total seat capacity to and from the region increased to 11.65 million, from 10.5 million a year ago; and the total number of seats available within the region grew to 7.02 million from 6.31 million.

"Much of the growth in the Middle East is spurred by increased flights in the region to a number of Asian and European destinations," said Peter von Moltke, CEO, UBM Aviation. " Dubai International Airport is home to a growing airline, which is supported by a government interested in opening international markets, catapulting the airport into the position of being a leading international airport."

For the first time, Dubai's capacity has surpassed the capacity constrained by New York's JFK.  Within Central and South America, seat capacity increased 10 percent, to a total of 21.4 million, and flights increased 11 percent to a total of 207,277. Capacity (8 percent) and frequency (6 percent) increased to and from the region as well, growing to 7.8 million seats and 47,121 flights. This region will be watched closely and growth is likely to change with reduction in capacity due to MexicanaAirlines suspending operations and as others carriers add flights.

Worldwide, seat capacity increased 8 percent in September to 319.48 million seats, an increase of 22.56 million seats. Frequency is scheduled to grow 6 percent, to a total 2.55 million flights, an increase of 151,257 monthly flights. Air service growth is reflected in every region of the world, again this month, OAG reports.

Scheduled seat capacity grew within North America for a second consecutive month, continuing growth that hasn't been experienced since 2007. Seat capacity increased 3 percent over September 2009, to a total of 74.32 million seats, and frequency increased 2 percent for a total of 819,347 scheduled flights. Seat capacity to and from North America, which recently had been stronger than within the region, grew 6 percent to 16.42 million in September.

Air service to and from Europe remains strong, with capacity increasing 10 percent, to a total of 24.57 million seats; and flights by 11 percent, with 108,888. Much of this growth comes from increased seats and flights to the Middle East and Asia, including flights to and from Abu Dhabi (21 percent), Doha (28 percent) and Tokyo (12 percent).

Traffic also grew within Europe with a 7 percent increase in seat capacity and a 5 percent increase in the number of fights to a total of 77.9 million seats and 623,579 flights. 

The Asia-Pacific region continues to grow; increasing 10 percent in both seat capacity and frequency, within and to and from the region. The total number of seats available to and from this region increased to 14.60 million, and within the region to 90.88 million. Seat capacity growth was especially strong in Jakarta (45 percent), Shanghai (19 percent) and Kolkata (19 percent).

"Although Asia-Pacific is a well-known area of growth, all eyes should continue to watch the region, specifically traffic to and from Delhi. Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) recently opened a new terminal, creating great potential for this airport to become an effective connecting gateway and a viable competitor to other international hubs," continued von Moltke. 

Visit www.OAG.com.


Like this story? Subscribe to Daily News & Deals!

Featuring breaking news on the latest product launches, deals, sales promotions, and executive appointments. Be sure to sign-up for this free industry daily newsletter.